22/250 ??

The 1 I use mostly with night vision is a Tikka m55 and  53 grain vmax doing around 3770 fps range up to 300. 

The other I ususl use for daytime is a Sako 75 and use 55 nosler BTs they do around 3750 fps and range is probably around 400. This rifle is considerably heavier than the Tikka and was built as a sitting out Varmint rifle. 

Accuracy wise it makes no odds what the calibre is they will all do their bit if you put the work in. You could be OK with factory loads, some shoot extremely well with factory, but reloading for me is cheaper and it's possible to get a little better accuracy. 

Just a side note, 223 are used on targets out to 1k,  so don't think that the larger case of the 22.250 is the one to choose for long range, it will do it just as well but not as efficiently. 

I chose 22.250 because i did, I always dreamt of owning a 22.250 Sako as a teenager, and thats what I bought when I had the money. Simples. 

You choose what you like. :good:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Thanx forum i knew when i posted id probably open up a massive debate I just wanted to ask the guys who SHOOT FOXES with a 22/250 what there opinions are regards range /type of bullets etc general opinion of the actual calibre

Gerry i shot hundreds upon hundreds of Fox's with a .22-250 using Remington 50 gr Accu Tip which would put how many you wanted into a 5p at 200yrd i could count on one hand the amount of non pass through i had.

Later on i moved to a .220 Swift whilst my brother had a .223 IF i went back to a .22 CF it would be ?% a .223 Why !!!!

A bit cheaper to run quieter and kill's just as far as a .22-250.

But if it's a itch you need to scratch then do it and enjoy. All this X number FPS mines faster flatter is bull poop Accuracy and the right projectile kills :good:

Well said 6x5x55 think theres a lot of macho bull**** regards killing foxes at long ranges by hunters the reason i put the 22/250 post up i was offered a good second hand rifle in that calibre Im no trained marksman but would consider myself a half descent shot but would rather have the skill of calling a fox in close for a safe and clean shot Think shooters are obsessed with 300 PLUS yards shots etc Talking to the gundealer he actually prefers the 222 over 223/22250

18 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Gerry i shot hundreds upon hundreds of Fox's with a .22-250 using Remington 50 gr Accu Tip which would put how many you wanted into a 5p at 200yrd i could count on one hand the amount of non pass through i had.

Later on i moved to a .220 Swift whilst my brother had a .223 IF i went back to a .22 CF it would be ?% a .223 Why !!!!

A bit cheaper to run quieter and kill's just as far as a .22-250.

But if it's a itch you need to scratch then do it and enjoy. All this X number FPS mines faster flatter is bull poop Accuracy and the right projectile kills :good:

Phew, it was beginning to feel a bit lonely in here :-)

18 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Well said 6x5x55 think theres a lot of macho ******** regards killing foxes at long ranges by hunters the reason i put the 22/250 post up i was offered a good second hand rifle in that calibre Im no trained marksman but would consider myself a half descent shot but would rather have the skill of calling a fox in close for a safe and clean shot Think shooters are obsessed with 300 PLUS yards shots etc Talking to the gundealer he actually prefers the 222 over 223/22250

I have 222 and 22/250, both excellent for fox. If 22/250 made the deer legal minimum (like 243) it would be a far more popular caliber

21 minutes ago, hambone said:

If 22/250 made the deer legal minimum (like 243) it would be a far more popular caliber

Why !!!! And care to explain please as I'd be interested in your thinking.

Gerry never owned a .222 but I've shot a lot of vermin along with ? apart from .222 i certainly never saw felt any difference to a .223 Choices choices mate go with your OWN personal thoughts and enjoy it :good:

Edited by 6.5x55SE

18 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Why !!!! And care to explain please as I'd been interested in your thinking.

My thinking is based on conversations and reading forums like this one which lead me to the conclusion that many people gravitate to a .243 because it is the minimum deer legal caliber and therefore is the one that suits multiple roles. A lot of .243 users go for 55 grain heads for fox which is more or less what the .222/.223 and .22/250 run at and step up to heavier heads for deer. If the legal energy requirement for deer was lower then the lowest available caliber would be more popular whatever it was. To OP sorry to go off track the .22/250 is a excellent fox caliber, mine is a CZ and far more accurate than ill ever be. :good:

Edited by hambone

13 minutes ago, hambone said:

My thinking is based on conversations and reading forums like this one which lead me to the conclusion that many people gravitate to a .243 because it is the minimum deer legal caliber and therefore is the one that suits multiple roles. A lot of .243 users go for 55 grain heads for fox which is more or less what the .222/.223 and .22/250 run at and step up to heavier heads for deer. If the legal energy requirement for deer was lower then the lowest available caliber would be more popular whatever it was. To OP sorry to go off track the .22/250 is a excellent fox caliber, mine is a CZ and far more accurate than ill ever be. :good:

.243 was designed as Wildcat Varmint calibre IMHO that's what it should be used for it was my first Deer calibre 40+ years ago and didn't last long as a Deer rifle also  heads are not what kill as they stay in the chamber. Have a look at the proper terminology of rifle ammunition :yes:  Enough said as this is off track.

Gerry let us know what calibre you choose and your personal findings good luck :good:

Cheers forum was in my local gunshop today i say local its 40 miles away lol Anyway pricing centerfires the owner showed me the 2018 prices and the CZ 222/223 ETC is now near a grand believe it or not from EDGAR BRO he had a browning xbolt composite stalker 223 for £830 but heard bad reports about browning triggers it will prob be a 223 or 22/250 il keep yas posted:)

On 16/02/2018 at 20:05, bornfree said:

I use one slightly smaller a 223 and one slightly larger a 243 and both work well. But the 223 is far quieter. You pays your money and makes your choice.

That interesting about the 223 being much quieter than the 243. What ammo / silencer combo are you using on the 223?

58 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Cheers forum was in my local gunshop today i say local its 40 miles away lol Anyway pricing centerfires the owner showed me the 2018 prices and the CZ 222/223 ETC is now near a grand believe it or not from EDGAR BRO he had a browning xbolt composite stalker 223 for £830 but heard bad reports about browning triggers it will prob be a 223 or 22/250 il keep yas posted:)

I bought a Browning A bolt .223 a few years back, it shot sub half inch out of the box with a 40gr vmax over 25.5gn of vit 135. The trigger was a bit heavy but it was a 10 minute job to replace the spring with a lighter one and fix it.

If a bullet doesn't exit then it is no good to me, I want a bleed hole.   I have shot a lot of fox , roe and munties and it also exits carrion crows:yes: and found it to be an excellent taker of game. I would not hesitate to use it on a fox and the rifle you talk about is also an excellent piece of kit. Just ask if the seller will allow you to put a couple of rounds down the range to check it is genuine.

On 16/02/2018 at 09:20, ClemFandango said:

what a load of utter ****! Too much gun as it shoots through? ********! 

I bet you won't hear many foxes complain they have been shot through. 

I have shot hundreds of foxes with .30-06 they were all shot through as well. oddly they were all dead which I assume is the aim? 

+1 on that. Had this argument a few years ago when someone asked the same question and was told that a 22/250 was "Too much gun for fox". Never heard anything as daft in my life..

Bit like saying a 30-06 is too much gun for deer.

Jeeze I use a .243 for fox.

Edited by Graham M

.22-250 is prob one of the best foxing rounds out Derbyshire will not alow .243 for just fox so that's out the question.....ive had a tikka t3 varmint in .223 and currently have a tikka t3 stainless laminate .22-250  if it came down to choosing again it would be the .22-250 without a doubt.

ive shot most weight of bullets but prefur the 40grain nosler varmeggedden over vmax... they just generally smash fox's up.

14 minutes ago, cervusman said:

I only have a 223 and never had a 22-250, IMO it is overbored which will burn the barrel out quicker than a 223. I have shot rabbits ect out to 400yds with my 223 so don’t feel the need for more power but if I did I would pick up the 243.

This is not true , a 22/250 barrel will last as long as a .223 barrel with today’s metals/ alloys , 20 yrs ago the 22/250 suffered ( in some rifles ) throat erosion, but so did other Calibres . I shot a .220 swift for years , in fact I only sold it at the beginning of last yr . I put a good 3500 rounds through it over the 15 yrs or so I had it , it would still shoot 3/4moa  And I ran that bad boy HOT , the last trip out with it I took a dog Fox at 306 yards straight in the bib . 

Ahhh the .220 swift now that’s the daddy ? if you can handle the bark ?

The 22/250 is a rolls Royce fox callibre . Pick what you want , but if you never own one you always wish you had  .

Edited by stevo

5 minutes ago, stevo said:

This is not true , a 22/250 barrel will last as long as you .223 barrel with today’s metals/ alloys , 20 yrs ago the 22/250 suffered ( in some rifles ) throat erosion, but so did other Calibres . I shot a .220 swift for years , in fact I only sold it at the beginning of last yr . I put a good 3500 rounds through it over the 15 yrs or so I had it , it would still shoot 3/4moa  And I ran that bad boy HOT , the last trip out with it I took a dog Fox at 306 yards straight in the bib . 

You can't post comments like that on here, the .223 brigade will go into meltdown quicker than a 20 yr old barrel. :lol::lol::lol:

Just now, hambone said:

You can't post comments like that on here, the .223 brigade will go into meltdown quicker than a 20 yr old barrel. :lol::lol::lol:

I know what the hell was I thinking , haha 

4 hours ago, stevo said:

This is not true , a 22/250 barrel will last as long as a .223 barrel with today’s metals/ alloys , 20 yrs ago the 22/250 suffered ( in some rifles ) throat erosion, but so did other Calibres . I shot a .220 swift for years , in fact I only sold it at the beginning of last yr . I put a good 3500 rounds through it over the 15 yrs or so I had it , it would still shoot 3/4moa  And I ran that bad boy HOT , the last trip out with it I took a dog Fox at 306 yards straight in the bib . 

The 22/250 is a rolls Royce fox callibre . Pick what you want , but if you never own one you always wish you had  .

.220 Swift :yes: i to put a lot of ? to sleep with one .

When i stopped doing a lot of Foxing i put the Swarovski scope off the .220 in QR rings Zeroed it with 75gr V-Max from my .25-06 :sad1::good:

Inthedark thanks for posting after I opened up that debate 22/250 ive had a look at at 3 diffrent cz rifles 222/223/22/250 I haven’t got a notion what i went lol the dealer swears by the 222 hes not trying hard sell as all the guns same price range and all good condition my mate has 223 you guessed it best fox round ever and a fella i work with shoots deer Southern Ireland he shoots 308 and 22/250 for vermin he thinks 22/250 dogs nuts So i think forum opinions and people i know in life im gona just havta pick a calibre myself Doin a bit of research on internet i think im leaning towards 222 :rolleyes:to be honest if im shooting 5-10 foxes a season il be doin good lol Thanx again lads any one who shoots 222 id be interested hest from yas:good: