Aldi

scouser

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, old'un said:

Would like to know what you binned?

Well when i say a full shop,only about £20 worth.Thought id give it a bash as everyone keeps going on about it.The butter that looks like Lurpack tastes like margerine.Coffee that tries to look like nesscafe needs 4 teaspoons to get the slightest taste.Bacon slices that wont part,chicken fillets that look (just looking at them put me off) like you'd get food poison just looking at them.Not for me im afraid,ill stick with M&S.Did get a cracking fishing chair from Alid once though.Only cost £25 and it better than the one i have thats 3 x the price.

Davyo can i ask when did  that shop? This is my experience: The following I buy and consume regularly: cereal, bread, chicken, steak, cook in curry sauce, Gin, home brand lager, Pino Gris New Zealand Wine, & fish fingers. My cats and dog eat Aldi pet food with relish!  However: Tonic water, I find can be hit or miss. I won't buy Baked Beans, or Tomato Sauce, again! The fold up saw I bought though has had a lot of use, and is a nice piece of kit, and my son caught his first sea trout with a telescopic rod we bought there. You win some you lose some I suppose.

Cheers

Aled  

Edited by Aled

Been shopping at Aldi for over 20 years - some things simply don't taste the same, it's no different to buying something other than your usual brand from, say, Tesco then moaning that it tastes different, I bought Aldi coffee and  didn't like it (I'm on a life's quest to find one that I will stick with) so I have been pouring it into my wife's Gold Blend jar and she hasn't noticed (thankfully she doesn't read my posts) - as for Bacon - did you pick up the Bacon Pieces by chance, these are off cuts from the end of a piece of meat that are different sizes and thicknesses, if you pay a little more for the 14 slice pack then you will stop wasting your money at M&S. Most often heard complaint seems to be a lack of choice - might be worth remembering that you are paying a premium to shop at an outlet that stocks 30 different flavour Toothpastes when you only ever buy one anyway. Some Aldi food is not as "good" as other products by other Supermarkets but it works both ways - Tesco Ham is over priced and flavourless - compare it to Aldi's. I guess it comes down to how much you are willing to accept something different and if that's worth the 30% ish saving. 

55 minutes ago, Davyo said:

Well when i say a full shop,only about £20 worth.Thought id give it a bash as everyone keeps going on about it.The butter that looks like Lurpack tastes like margerine.Coffee that tries to look like nesscafe needs 4 teaspoons to get the slightest taste.Bacon slices that wont part,chicken fillets that look (just looking at them put me off) like you'd get food poison just looking at them.Not for me im afraid,ill stick with M&S.Did get a cracking fishing chair from Alid once though.Only cost £25 and it better than the one i have thats 3 x the price.

I will admit you have to be a bit selective at Aldi, think most own brand produce from anywhere is a bit hit and miss, we also shop at Sainsbury’s and Asda for our other stuff, they had those fishing chairs in last week £19.99 we bought two for picnics and fishing, they are well made.

Regularly use my Aldi tap and die set to repair damaged threads or make new ones, keep a nice little Aldi combi screwdriver bit set in the van for running repairs, and my fold out Aldi Torx drivers are very handy. I will not buy their chainsaws though, I much prefer sticking with my Stihl/Husky/Jonsered etc.

There clothes range wont fit they stop at xl which is roughly a 42 chest , and there fruit etc is fine if you eat it that day or the next as there on as close to minimum wage there hounded to throw the fruit in to the shelves as fast as they can and it bruises and goes off quickly . There was a undercover programme on Aldi staff no long ago 

2 hours ago, Bigbob said:

There clothes range wont fit they stop at xl which is roughly a 42 chest , and there fruit etc is fine if you eat it that day or the next as there on as close to minimum wage there hounded to throw the fruit in to the shelves as fast as they can and it bruises and goes off quickly . There was a undercover programme on Aldi staff no long ago 

Funny! i have found the opposite. The fruit and veg seem to stay fresher for longer than Sainsbury or Co-op. I presume that different stores may differ in the way they handle their products, or the way they are managed. Maybe this makes a big difference.

(Aldi have a special in at the moment, pork loin with black pudding and an apple sauce packet, that i thought were really good!!) and they have just started selling whole coffee beans!!

Can't beat the bi monthly Aldi love/hate, we regularly shop at Aldi, don't see any problems, the misses also goes other stores, with Aldi they don't faf about like the other stores, certainly not minimum wage and the wifes just said there doing something right because you don't see loads of reduced food at Aldi.

And still the best ginger biscuits ? 

8 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Been shopping at Aldi for over 20 years - some things simply don't taste the same, it's no different to buying something other than your usual brand from, say, Tesco then moaning that it tastes different, I bought Aldi coffee and  didn't like it (I'm on a life's quest to find one that I will stick with) so I have been pouring it into my wife's Gold Blend jar and she hasn't noticed (thankfully she doesn't read my posts) - as for Bacon - did you pick up the Bacon Pieces by chance, these are off cuts from the end of a piece of meat that are different sizes and thicknesses, if you pay a little more for the 14 slice pack then you will stop wasting your money at M&S. Most often heard complaint seems to be a lack of choice - might be worth remembering that you are paying a premium to shop at an outlet that stocks 30 different flavour Toothpastes when you only ever buy one anyway. Some Aldi food is not as "good" as other products by other Supermarkets but it works both ways - Tesco Ham is over priced and flavourless - compare it to Aldi's. I guess it comes down to how much you are willing to accept something different and if that's worth the 30% ish saving. 

Agree about your coffee comments, over many years I have tried most of the coffee that exists. Without exception, I have found
that all of it tastes like warm goat urine .

Buy a Tassimo coffee maker and either Costas or Kenco Americano pods for it and you will actually know what real coffee tastes like.

Edited by das

10 minutes ago, das said:

Agree about your coffee comments, over many years I have tried most of the coffee that exists. Without exception, I have found
that all of it tastes like warm goat urine .

Buy a Tassimo coffee maker and either Costas or Kenco Americano pods for it and you will actually know what real coffee tastes like.

And how often do you drink warm goat urine?

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And how often do you drink warm goat urine?

Years ago, I had an Indian visitor and made him a coffee,  quality Coumbian, and he politely told me exactly what it tasted like.
Being a farm rep at the time, I once told this to a customer and he promptly said 'Lets try it , cos I can't find decent coffee'.' We can spit it out
and anyway, its sterile as it leaves the bladder'.

This was true and the Indian gent was right.