Aldi

scouser

36 minutes ago, das said:

Years ago, I had an Indian visitor and made him a coffee,  quality Coumbian, and he politely told me exactly what it tasted like.
Being a farm rep at the time, I once told this to a customer and he promptly said 'Lets try it , cos I can't find decent coffee'.' We can spit it out
and anyway, its sterile as it leaves the bladder'.

This was true and the Indian gent was right.

i have tried Kopi Luwak!  It is made of coffee beans which have been eaten and passed by a Palm Civet! I tried it in Indonesia, but apparently it can cost £100's a cup in the west! (and no it didn't taste of ****!) 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Davyo said:

Love popping in and checking out the middle isle,some good cheap bargins.If only the food was palletable,tried it once and a whole shop ended up getting binned.

Aldi/ Lidl meat is actually the best you will get in any supermarket. Its all British* and sourced directly from British farms by Aldi / Lidl buyers.

A lot of their fish is EU waters, you can't say British anymore. Although some salmon and Lobster is Canadian, its all wild not farmed. Veg the same, all locally sourced

* apart from their promotional meat when they do Italian, etc weeks

As the latecomers to the UK market, Aldi and Lidl (both effectively the same company) have played a blinder. Aldi was voted Britain's favourite supermarket a couple of weeks back. Knocking Waitrose back into fourth.

Their range is very limited, if you want twenty different cheeses to choose from, forget it, (but apart from a slightly  German bias, very noticeable at christmas) quality is often streets ahead of Sainsbury's, Tesco etc.   

Edited by Vince Green

Aldi built a new store my side of town, last year. Been shopping there since August...

Initially I felt they didn't stock what I wanted and once a month I reverted back to Morrison's for a 'big shop'... by the year ended my thoughts changed and now I shop exclusively at Aldi. The fresh food/meat is as good, if not better, than any other supermarket. And like most stuff - the prepackaged things you'll either like or not. I've found most stuff to be very good. Fruit and veg definitely keeps longer. I've also found a few gems which I struggle to find in other stores

I have just had two of their fillet steaks ? on the BBQ this evening, carrot ? swede, green beans pepper sauce and air fry chips, couldn’t be better. Whole meal for two about 15 quid, couldn’t have had better if i’d Spent £20 per head in a restaurant.

I use their French strength 5 ground coffee in my old fashion stove top espresso pot and it is excellent. Don’t bother with this instant malarkey.

Much prefer Lidl as they seem to do more ‘branded’ stuff than Aldi eg. Walkers crisps, Robinson’s squash, that type of thing. The post about minimum wage is far from true. We do maintenance for both Lidl and Aldi and granted they are expected to do more than workers in other stores we work for but Lidl are advertising for store assistants in my local shop with the offer of £9.50+ ph, that ain’t bad money for being in the warm and dry.

5 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

i have tried Kopi Luwak!  It is made of coffee beans which have been eaten and passed by a Palm Civet! I tried it in Indonesia, but apparently it can cost £100's a cup in the west! (and no it didn't taste of ****!) 

I tried it in a Kempinski hotel a few years back at 80 euro a cup, it went straight through me faster than the cat that ate it first. Not so memorable on the way in but very memorable on the way out.

7 hours ago, Trevorevans said:

Much prefer Lidl as they seem to do more ‘branded’ stuff than Aldi eg. Walkers crisps, Robinson’s squash, that type of thing. The post about minimum wage is far from true. We do maintenance for both Lidl and Aldi and granted they are expected to do more than workers in other stores we work for but Lidl are advertising for store assistants in my local shop with the offer of £9.50+ ph, that ain’t bad money for being in the warm and dry.

The uprated Lidl stores are fantastic complete with Toilets. The Parkside tool range are brilliant.

Vince

Everyone needs a compressor even if you don’t know it!

When I purchased my first one I thought it was really going to be just a novelty, 10 years down the line and it gets used far more than I ever thought.

must make arrangements to get that and other garage equipment back from our other place.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

das - have ordered said machine and should be up and running later next week - if the coffee that you suggest does not slip down like syrup and then keep me awake for a whole episode of "Death in Paradise" then you will be off my Christmas card list .

I would go for the Delongi Magnifica (bit more expensive) but you can put whole beans in the top and it grinds etc and makes a good cup of coffee! Your also not restricted to buying the specific branded capsules you need for the others.

10 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

I'm a fan of some Aldi produce,

I stick to Heinz for ketchup/salad cream, HP Brown Sauce and Branston Pickle,

Most other stuff from Aldi is nice, at Xmas they do some very nice "Special" foods

Thumbs up from me

Did you try the Sloe Gin mince pies and tarts?? I had orders from the other guns at our shoot!

14 hours ago, das said:

Agree about your coffee comments, over many years I have tried most of the coffee that exists. Without exception, I have found
that all of it tastes like warm goat urine .

Buy a Tassimo coffee maker and either Costas or Kenco Americano pods for it and you will actually know what real coffee tastes like.

???

if tassimo is what you think real coffee tastes like then I don’t think you have really tried most of the coffee that exists. 

2 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Did you try the Sloe Gin mince pies and tarts?? I had orders from the other guns at our shoot!

I saw them but didn't try them,

I'm diabetic and have to be really strict over Xmas as its too easy just to do a packet or two without thinking So I just don't bother ?

:shaun:

33 minutes ago, shaun4860 said:

I saw them but didn't try them,

I'm diabetic and have to be really strict over Xmas as its too easy just to do a packet or two without thinking So I just don't bother ?

Your missing out - their “specially selected” lines are brilliant - mince pies like you say are easy to do a whole pack lol!

what do you lads use an air compressor for? (Don’t say compressing air) lol 

18 hours ago, das said:

Agree about your coffee comments, over many years I have tried most of the coffee that exists. Without exception, I have found
that all of it tastes like warm goat urine .

Buy a Tassimo coffee maker and either Costas or Kenco Americano pods for it and you will actually know what real coffee tastes like.

thats about the only coffee i drink now days go through loads of pods...preffer the lattee to any other one just had my 4th of the day..

8 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

das - have ordered said machine and should be up and running later next week - if the coffee that you suggest does not slip down like syrup and then keep me awake for a whole episode of "Death in Paradise" then you will be off my Christmas card list .

But your supposed to be tight!! Who is going to pay for the fancy coffee?

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

what do you lads use an air compressor for? (Don’t say compressing air) lol 

you can get a lot of air tools.

das - update...captain impatient strikes again and we scurried off to Curry's today and bought said machine - 2 Americano Grande's later and I'm guessing that it will be British Summertime before I see the backs of my eyelids again.....not only are you on my Christmas Card List but you may well get a Glittery One :friends:.BTW - Morrison's have 2 x 16 Tassimo pods for £7 on offer at the moment.

Edited by bruno22rf

8 hours ago, cromwell7 said:

???

if tassimo is what you think real coffee tastes like then I don’t think you have really tried most of the coffee that exists. 

I probably havn't tried most of the coffee that exists but Tassimo beats the dozens of ground and processed **** that I have.

Went into local Aldi (Atherstone) today and almost all kids stuff.  Have not trid their coffee as we drink exclusively Morrisons home brand strength six, that is until the last week or so when it was not available so now drink the five.  As good as any I have drunk from the 'coffee' shops although the American Diner...A1 north of Stamford does a pretty good coffee for a road side establishment.