Hodophobia

washerboy

Does anyone get anxiety or nervous about leaving their family /loved ones behind while they are travelling alone a long distance? 

Its just of late  if I drive up the 200 miles to Scotland I get really uptight and edgy about the journey if I’m doing it alone , it gets to the point that I would rather not go or 100 miles in I feel like turning back.

Just now, washerboy said:

Does anyone get anxiety or nervous about leaving their family /loved ones behind while they are travelling alone a long distance? 

Its just of late  if I drive up the 200 miles to Scotland I get really uptight and edgy about the journey if I’m doing it alone , it gets to the point that I would rather not go or 100 miles in I feel like turning back.

ive spent most of my life working away from home abroad and here..................

i used to love driving up to the company flat or hotel on a sunday evening....i had a cracking nice car ..auto all leather interior...great sound system....used to look forward to the drive as the roads were quiet...and i could get my brain into gear............stop and have something to eat on the way........used to love that.......

my only angst was leaving all my dogs...in the end i used to take one of them with me on rotation.........

21 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Spent many months and years away from home. Years that you cannot bring back really hard when you have a very young family as I had. Returning from one long contract in Brazil my youngest son pointed to me and said to my wife ... The man ... the man  My wife said to him in reply. That man is your father. Looking back I so miss the formative years of my children.

1 hour ago, ips said:

Me too. 

I would hate to pop my clogs and not given her a kiss the last time I saw her.

This.

4 years ago I left the house early  to go to work in a bad mood with the missus. Didn't stop to kiss her or my little girl goodbye. Three hours later I was involved in an accident that should've killed me. When they rushed me through A+E to surgery I clung to the theatre door frame with everything I had left until they let my wife though to see me. 

It hasn't affected me so much but my wife hates me working away now.

It has to be an age related traite. When we're young we feel invincible and that life will never end. As we get older it's very easy to start counting the years months and days we have left. It's also easy to reflect on those things we didn't do and should have or the things we did that shouldn't have done. Time and family are both very strong and very fragile.

I can appreciate what you mean. 

My days of working away are behind me, I rarely work weekends either now, I would rather be with my kids enjoying them than work, more money would be nice but as has been mentioned you can’t buy time with them back. I don’t get home sick but I do get family sick