Shooting show 2018

rec-baller

Just got back from the shooting show at Birmingham.

I can't decide if I enjoyed it or not !!.

We got there at 8.45am and waited in the main entrance, it was suppose to open at 9 but it was more like 9.15 when the doors opened- to the cheer of the crowd.

I wanted the new Nitesite wolf dark ops night sight, do I  had a good chat with john on the nitesite stand and got the low down on the new set up, he,d done a good sales pitch so I bought one from Scott country. I had a good look round but there didn't seem to be any bargains ??, I realy wanted some new muck boots but there went any for sale. 

I honestly dont thnk it was as good as it hss been in the past 

I think I'll give it a miss next year ??

Any body else been ???

Shaun 

Edited by rec-baller

Went, looked, and enjoyed the chats with a few folk I've  have not seen for a while. Bought some stuff back from Norman Clarke's that I'd ordered prior to the show. Plus a couple of other bits and bobs, sorted out a long range day out to over 1k. I think if you want bargains stick to your Sunday markets and boot sales, the thing is in this day you have the whole world at your finger tips for bargains. Once the exhibitors have forked out a few thousand for the stand they won't be wanting to cut prices if they can help it.  But to get a hands on new gear, then these shows are good. 

Well in short,I got out of the show what I wanted. Plus it's a day put. 

24 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Went, looked, and enjoyed the chats with a few folk I've  have not seen for a while. Bought some stuff back from Norman Clarke's that I'd ordered prior to the show. Plus a couple of other bits and bobs, sorted out a long range day out to over 1k. I think if you want bargains stick to your Sunday markets and boot sales, the thing is in this day you have the whole world at your finger tips for bargains. Once the exhibitors have forked out a few thousand for the stand they won't be wanting to cut prices if they can help it.  But to get a hands on new gear, then these shows are good. 

Well in short,I got out of the show what I wanted. Plus it's a day put. 

So your off to Specsavers tomorrow to get your eyes tested for the 1k Shooting ??

Went for the first time ever, was enjoyable and certainly some money being thrown about by some people. 

I liked the vortex stand where they were just showing off all their gear and no pressure to sell anything, the gents running it spent some time showing my friends and I all the models and we appreciated it. 

Saw some stands who wouldnt spare you 5 minutes unless you looked like a millionaire, we laughed at those as we had money to spend but will take it elsewhere. 

We were also surprised that there weren’t more cartridge shops etc up there doing deals, but we did hear a rumour that the cost of a stand was between £10-15k so cant see it being worth while for many smaller retailers. 

I did also see Teague chokes and asked them their best price on chokes, they’re £10 each more expensive than other sellers online. Don’t make sense to me that they produce them but are somehow undercut by McAvoy... I did mention it to the rep as if your buying a set it all adds up. He just kept saying they were selling them too cheap... 

Also the gundog shoe was a bit of a shambles, not through any fault of the dogs or trainer - they put down a horrible carpet and the dogs were sliding around on it terrible, even the trainer said it was burning their feet so he couldn’t do much with them. Shame as they looked some lovely dogs. 

I was also disappointed. No support from any of the big clothing brands which is why my missus comes. Stonleight was much better  on the organisation front as well. Getting in at 0900 was a joke from such a large venue!!

one food stand inside selling breakfast with 5 temp staff tripping over one another ensures a 30 min wait for a bacon sandwich. 25 min queue in the weatherspoons as they only had 4 staff. 

Most people decided to leave after lunch which improved getting around. 

I bought a new LR from Norman gunsmith who was exceptionally helpful!!

Only then to find out that I donor have an ammo allocation on my section 1 so I couldn’t buy any ammo ! Doh!! Feo coming on Monday to pick up my ticket and sort!

Further to that I was going to buy a Nightmaster 800 from the guys as they were selling them “off”. As I went to hand over the cash one of the young lads let slip that they aren’t the NM800 but a cobbled together job lot of parts from the factory. It’s not the same pill you can’t use a tail on it and only one mode, full power. Very disappointed as I had spent quite some time researching he lamp and the show was closing by that point. 

Edited by R6demon
Additional info

Anyone from the Norwich area visiting who could pick up a Practical Shotgun belt from Norman Clarks would be great ( have to say, I haven’t paid but would reimburse you immediately and if you happen to have .22 on your FAC then a box of Winchester’s Z’s  to cover the inconvenience) 

Cheers

Jay

Edited by Jaymo

We went yesterday, couldn't really pin it on anything specific but it didn't seem as good as last year.

Queuing for cuppa when we got there and general lack of seating didn't help.

Still plenty to see though and couldn't complain at the cost either.

As I'm in the market for a new gun this year I'd have liked more opportunity to just pick up and handle a few, as you could with Blaser.

Maybe more practical demo's.

1 hour ago, Wymondley said:

We went yesterday, couldn't really pin it on anything specific but it didn't seem as good as last year.

Queuing for cuppa when we got there and general lack of seating didn't help.

Still plenty to see though and couldn't complain at the cost either.

As I'm in the market for a new gun this year I'd have liked more opportunity to just pick up and handle a few, as you could with Blaser.

Maybe more practical demo's.

The Blaser stand was brilliant and the reps were really helpful. 

Some young fella called Archie spent ages showing my friend and I the rifles and how the bolts etc work, fair play to him! ??

We have been there today and it was "ok".  The whole thing was too crammed it needed another hall so it could spread out.  A bit of faff getting into the grounds with traffic and car parking but ok.

The stalls needed more room to accomodate the shoppers as there was no room to browse. I bought some bits and bobs that I went for and some bit I didn't. Ha!

We met some really helpful people and an enjoyable day was had but it wasn't a patch on Stoneleigh.