Optimum Zero?

Scully

Have ended up with a .22 rather than a .177 after all. Anyhow, just wondered what others with more experience than I zeroed their sub 12ft lb .22’s at? Will be used mainly in big gardens with a big variation in ranges, so Some close in, others not, and everything in between. 

I am no stranger to hold over with my .22rf, but have little experience of serious air rifle shooting. 

You really need to seriously set a maximum range for which you are comfortable shooting at. 

If you say 50 yards max,  then a 30/35 yard zero is your best bet, but at that 50 yard mark you need 5 inches of holdover and 1 inch holdunder at 20yds.

A play with chair gun will help. 

Edited by Rewulf

My .22 is set at approx. 20 yards!!! Seems to hold pretty true up to about 30 then I simply hold over. I shot for more years than I care to remember with a .22 Air Rifle and hold over became second nature - when I "upgraded" to a .22RF it took months to adjust to the different trajectory as the Airguns was imprinted in my bonce - just put in for a .17HMR so the fun is about to start again.

My main work is  at magpies on a large slurry pit and they can be almost in the hide with me or at the far end 40 yards, so I set my dead on zero at 25yrds and have learned the drop out to the far end. I almost always just check on the concrete wall with my first shot when I arrive.  I would say 25 to 30 yards for general use, then shoot a series of differning distances to max you think you will be called on. You soon log it in the brain and know where to hold.  It just so happens that my other work involves shooting barn pigeons and this place also is around the same as the slurry pit.   Don't forget the wind on the 40 yarders:yes:

So what did you get then scully? And what scope have you got? Sure I'll get stick but mill dots are really useful I find, plenty of practice and you'll know whether to hold under or over.

My zero is twenty meters because most of my shooting tends to be 15-25 meters but this gives me quite a drop past 30.

Set yourself some targets up and have a play ?

What you are looking for is the Maximum Point Blank Range for any gun/ammo combination.

This is taken as the farthest range you will hit a target area when aiming dead centre of the target.  In graph terms for your 22, this is the area where the pellet is within 1/2 inch above or below the crosshairs when it hits the target.
For a 12ftlbs 22 air rifle, 30 yards is generally about right with medium ammo (h&n ftt) but will decease to 25 yards as pellet weight increases as trajectory becomes steeper.

For example you will have a close zero at 7 yards, a far zero of 30 yards and a MPBR of 34 yards for ftt but for barracuda hunter extremes, the figures are 10 yards, 25 yards and 28 yards respectively.

Chair gun is good for calculating this easily.

Edited by Stonepark

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

So what did you get then scully? And what scope have you got? Sure I'll get stick but mill dots are really useful I find, plenty of practice and you'll know whether to hold under or over.

My zero is twenty meters because most of my shooting tends to be 15-25 meters but this gives me quite a drop past 30.

Set yourself some targets up and have a play ?

I ended up with a HW100; the thumbhole carbine version. I’ve fitted a Hawke to it for now as I’m just potting rabbits in gardens. It’s quite a modern one however, and I was impressed with how much they’ve come on. If it doesn’t live up to expectations I have a Leupold I can fit. 

Using last year as an example I didn’t shoot anything past around the 20 mtr mark. They’re big gardens but with growth etc there isn’t often the chance to shoot any further, and often much closer, dependant on my field craft. ?

I often find myself shooting through gaps in hedgerows and under overhanging shrubs etc, but much is dependant on backstops. 

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. ?

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I ended up with a HW100; the thumbhole carbine version. I’ve fitted a Hawke to it for now as I’m just potting rabbits in gardens. It’s quite a modern one however, and I was impressed with how much they’ve come on. If it doesn’t live up to expectations I have a Leupold I can fit. 

Using last year as an example I didn’t shoot anything past around the 20 mtr mark. They’re big gardens but with growth etc there isn’t often the chance to shoot any further, and often much closer, dependant on my field craft. ?

I often find myself shooting through gaps in hedgerows and under overhanging shrubs etc, but much is dependant on backstops. 

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. ?

you made a good choice there scully one of the best pcp out there :good:

IMG_20180218_145409.jpg.066c474be02b34846410c67bfcac334c.jpg

IMG_20180218_145452.jpg

Ok so first graph is sub 12 .22 airgun with air arms fields. Red pink  and green . Zeroed at 25  28 and 30 yds. You can see the trajectory and the height they go above the white zero line. The blue is the lighter faster falcon acc plus pellet with a 30 yd zero .

The lower graph is the trajectory at a 40 degree incline. See how much higher the pellet flies at 25 yds above the zero line .the green being 1.25 inch high 

Thankyou, that’s a handy chart. Have zeroed it at 22 yds for now ( simply because that was the furthest I could get to by using the dog pen as a rest ) and was very pleased to see the first shot was about a foot low. Ended up with a ragged seven shot hole which I could cover with a 1p coin. Very very impressed. Am going to have some fun with this gun. 

Will need to download a manual as I don’t have one.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. ?

On 2/17/2018 at 17:33, bruno22rf said:

My .22 is set at approx. 20 yards!!! Seems to hold pretty true up to about 30 then I simply hold over. I shot for more years than I care to remember with a .22 Air Rifle and hold over became second nature - when I "upgraded" to a .22RF it took months to adjust to the different trajectory as the Airguns was imprinted in my bonce - just put in for a .17HMR so the fun is about to start again.

My air rifles were always zeroed at 25 yards,  ( 12 ft lb 177),   I knew then I could aim dead on out to a shade over 30 yards with a head shot given little wind.

A