Early Birds

Clodhopper

I had noticed a lot of birds on some rape which is bordered by a plantation of Sitka Spruce and Scots Pine. They have sitting in the trees grazing the field edge and sitting back up to digest their bounty. When walked off they disappear to their home wood, some 2 miles away, only to return on mass which is not ideal for making a bag. 

So last night the good lady says to me she would like to ride in the afternoon, would i like to get out shooting in the morning. The plan began to form in my head, if get in position before the pigeons I may well get the coming in from roost in smaller groups. A few texts were made, we were on.

Giles and I met up just before 7 and were in position by 7.20 and soon after the birds began to arrive. Singles, half dozens, up to groups of 50. Some came into the magnets we had set up and others just made for the tree tops. Giles had to disappear for an hour but the birds still came. It did slow down a bit but there was enough action to keep us interested. At 11 am we had to pack up due to a childs birthday party we needed to attended but the birds we still coming.

In all honesty we shot woefully but were surprised to pick 41, with another 5 dead but unreachable in the tops of the Pines. These birds were not as nervy as we have seen of late but they come from a wood that does not get shot at roost. The numbers seem to be building up in this safe haven.

On another note the game dealer tells me  that the price of birds had dropped by 10p due to high supply. He had 5000 in in the past week just from locals within about 30 miles, bearing in mind he is bordered by the sea on one side, that does not seem too big an area to me.