The things you see when you haven't got your gun...

Dunkield

I had to re-assemble a seat on my patch (separate thread on here) as it was bit worse for wear.

Despite the fact its a bit of a yomp into the wood it was nice afternoon, so I knew if I left the rifle behind I would end up regreting it.

I didn't, so I didn't, I bumped into this unlucky chap on the way back to the truck. A productive trip all round.

IMAG4980.jpg

Nice one, good eating.   Don't these munties almost always look in good nick. Of all those I have shot in the last 40yrs plus I don't believe I have ever come across a sickly looking beast, where I have come across a fair few fallow and one or two roe.  I have a boned out haunch marinading in the fridge right now ready for lunch tomorrow.

Edited by Walker570

@Walker570 we do see them much smaller, but they are proportionally so, as in good condition not thinner. I think they are really comfortable here, big beech woods and loads of pheasant feeders to go at. Having said all that on the same land we get the odd sorry looking roe, maybe the munties just adapt better? 

@bumpy22 as you say now is time to see them and shoot them, they will be hiding in undergrowth before we know it!

The marinated haunch was delicious at lunch time, wrapped in streaky smoked bacon.   I'm no expert but roe do tend to 'graze' as well as browse where munties tend to be almost totally browsers, so do roe pick up worm infections easier for instance. 

I'm fortunate on my pieces of ground the munties present themselves year round on open areas and rides and all of my deer shooting these days is from static ambush posotions.