AYA 400

Old Boggy

I have recently bought an 16 gauge AYA 400 and wondered if anyone can enlighten me further on this particular model as this is the first one that I've ever seen, particularly in this, my favourite gauge.

It is believed that this and the 400e (ejector model) were the precursors of the No.3 & 4 respectively. This I understand from another PW member.

These models differ from the No.3 & 4 etc. in that they have shoulders to the action and are not flat sided (if that makes sense). Our friend Mr.Google has several images to illustrate this, but all appear to be in 12 gauge.

However, I am told that they were predominantly for the Spanish market, whether that is good or bad I'm not sure, but prior to the extensive export to the UK of the more familiar models. My particular gun is the non ejector and is blessed with disc set strikers. Not sure whether the No.3 has these.

Carmen from AYA in Spain has confirmed that the gun was made in 1961, so for a gun nearly sixty years old is in pretty good shape.

I just wonder how rare they are and whether anyone else has one. Not concerned about value as It was cheap enough to buy, but purely out of interest of this particular model. It was advertised just as a 16g AYA non ejector with no reference to the model so I don't think that the seller (gunshop) was aware which one it was. 

I bought the gun as an attempt to 'scratch the itch' of a side by side once more, having used SxSs for most of my shooting life and only fairly recently gone over to O/Us. This one with its 26 inch barrels will be perfect in the pigeon hide. It appears to be a good sound basic gun in original condition and looks to have had very little use. To say that I'm pleased with it is an understatement.

I look forward to receiving any further information on this model.

Thanks for reading.

OB

Before ASI started importing AYA shotguns into the uk AYA like most Spanish makers made a range of shotguns with model numbers that made very little sense. The range for the uk was very simple No1, 2, 3 and 4 and it soon became the best selling range of shotguns available in the uk. My guess is that a few of the non uk spec guns such as the 400, 53, 33, 112 to name a few where imported from Spanish retailers and still come up occasionally. Interestingly the 400 was available in 12, 16, 20, 24 and 28g both ejector and non ejector!

7 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

You can EMAIL AYA should give u any info on the gun good luck

Yes, I did email AYA and got a reply very promptly back from Carmen to my queries, but in fairness I only asked when the gun was made and which model, so perhaps should have asked more questions.

7 hours ago, triumphant59 said:

Before ASI started importing AYA shotguns into the uk AYA like most Spanish makers made a range of shotguns with model numbers that made very little sense. The range for the uk was very simple No1, 2, 3 and 4 and it soon became the best selling range of shotguns available in the uk. My guess is that a few of the non uk spec guns such as the 400, 53, 33, 112 to name a few where imported from Spanish retailers and still come up occasionally. Interestingly the 400 was available in 12, 16, 20, 24 and 28g both ejector and non ejector!

Thanks for that information. Mine is the model 400 (non ejector). The 400e is the ejector model. It looks like these were the more basic models but still well made guns.

18 hours ago, matone said:

Good enough guns,dont  think too many made it to our shores tbh.It`ll be a sweet 16 to shoot undoubtedly !

I just love the 16 gauge and cannot wait to try it out sometime this coming week.

Thanks for your replies

OB

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Is that the one that's advertised as a No.3 in Somerset, but clearly is a 400 ?

Yes.

There`s a book called `Spanish Best` which gives quite an insight to the Spanish gunmakers and how they operated ,if anyone is interested.Hth

Edited by matone
Info.

14 minutes ago, matone said:

Yes.

There`s a book called `Spanish Best` which gives quite an insight to the Spanish gunmakers and how they operated ,if anyone is interested.Hth

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-Best-Fine-Shotguns-Spain/dp/158667143X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1519035091&sr=1-1&keywords=spanish+best

It is a good book and worth the money.

16 hours ago, matone said:

If you Google `armagunsblogspot` you`ll find a lot of historical info & pics from 1960 onwards of the Eibar gunmakers too.

It translates for you and you get the gist of it mostly !!!

Hope this is of interest ...

Matone,

Many thanks for that. Also for the mention of the book. Looks like a worthwhile investment.

OB