Charity shop coincidence.

catchthepigeonmutley

I know there was a charity shop thread a while back, but I can't find it.  Me and Mrs Catch The Pigeon were doing the charity shops yesterday - one of her favourite Saturday things .  In the first one we found an old book called The Universal Home Doctor (Illustrated).  It was beautifully bound in dark red with gold titling.  As my Dad used to be a bookbinder I appreciated the cover straight away.  It was a book for non medical people to identify and treat various ailments that they might get. 

Glancing through it I thought Mrs CTP (a trained nurse) would find it interesting.  There was no date on the frontispiece, but I reckoned it was post war.  It had apparently been obtained on mail order from an advertisement in the Daily Sketch newspaper, as the address label was still on the case it was in.  Imagine our surprise when we saw that the address was for our first house that we lived in for 13 years.  Same street, same house number.  Obviously I bought it straight away.   I suppose by the law of averages (whatever that is) such coincidences are bound to happen every so often.

Edited by catchthepigeonmutley

17 minutes ago, Sha Bu Le said:

Last week Mrs SBL got me a waxed jacket at a charity shop in Newcastle. M & S brand in perfect condition, not Barbour but equally as good. Sell for around £200 in M & S,  charity shop price................£10.00p Mrs snatched it up.

Was it valentines ? 

Don't know Mice, Valentines day usually passes me by with barely a notice. Mrs knows I've been checking the charity shops for ages for a Barbour (type) jacket. 

There were some for sale at Sunderland's monthly joke of a market (except tatty & veg man is good). Second hand and well used, almost all had belonged to shooters or anglers. Naff repairs to wrist area of one arm where the butt of the fly rod rubs or the shotgun catches the sleeve. All priced at £40..............would last  not very long.