Help Required In Picking The Right 4 x 4 PLEASE

marsh man

This question must have been asked 100s of times so bear with me as I am asking it once more .

I have never owned a 4x4 in all my driving life which is now spanning close on 50years , but with old age and creaking joints making it hard work carting my pigeon gear around wet fields it is now time to try and make life a bit easier  .

So my requirements are ,

A 4 x 4 estate car would do nicely, not to high off the ground to get in ( as my wife isn't that tall ) , economical to run , plenty of boot space for dog and gear , would be used as the only car I have , budget around 5 to 6k.

Maybe the car don't exist , but some pointers from you wise 4 x 4 people would be of great help . THANKS

The Octavia scout does fit the bill, but having owned one I can't really say too much good about them. Perhaps I was just unlucky but my 09 plate suffered engine failure at 90 000 miles, and had a few abs problems prior to that. I only had it 2 years but it cost me a fair dollop of cash in the end.

I am currently looking at Mitsubishi outlander as my work/shooting bus, a few around your budget marsh man and another thing I like about them is the boot has a drop down tail gate which is handy as the labs get older.

Worth a look.

Edited by aga man

I have a similar budget to you and I am expecting to buy a diesel with 70-80 000 miles on. The modern diesel are good for 200.000+ miles. My mechanic who I trust completely tells me a good service history is more important than the miles. I prefer a diesel for my work etc but I will be looking for one that does not have a DPF {diesel particulate filter} which I believe came out in 09 reg.

9 minutes ago, aga man said:

I have a similar budget to you and I am expecting to buy a diesel with 70-80 000 miles on. The modern diesel are good for 200.000+ miles. My mechanic who I trust completely tells me a good service history is more important than the miles. I prefer a diesel for my work etc but I will be looking for one that does not have a DPF {diesel particulate filter} which I believe came out in 09 reg.

THANKS aga man , so I have now got as far as looking for a diesel vehicle with a good service history , a very good start , cheers :good:

Diesel, and I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage, if it had a one owner, main dealer full service history! A particulate filter can, I understand, be a problem, if it does regular short runs, the Octavia is a little low on ground clearance for off road, and the petrol Saburu is reputedly, quite greedy.

I scaled down from a Mitsubishi pajero to a Nissan X Trail diesel which does what I need it to do. :good: Highish mileage and sounds rough until warm but not bad on fuel with plenty of boot space. No doubt someone will be along to say they have 40+ years of experience with cars and ive spelt some of this wrong. :lol::lol: 

Just now, marsh man said:

THANKS for your time and advice , another question , manual or auto gears ?

The pajero was an auto and I had my reservations about that when I bought it. After 5 years of auto ownership I would have no problem getting another. My X Trail is a manual which did not influence my decision to buy it, i wouldn't worry if the price/service history etc comes together and you like the vehicle don't worry about auto or manual. There may be issues with autos around towing which I can't comment on though

Im currently running an xtrail 2008 diesel 170. its ok i like how its performing, it is a nice drive even on the runs up north 1100 miles round trips its comfortable enough.

A shooting partner of mine has an outback its a way better car on and off road than the xtrail we are both convinced of that. Not being negative about the x trail its just not as good as the outback in my opinion . If i had 6k to spend i would be looking for a Subaru outback myself but opinions may differ, for example some claim engine troubles on the Subaru diesels , but mates as done 230k on an 09 and its still working fine.

On 2/18/2018 at 18:36, marsh man said:

This question must have been asked 100s of times so bear with me as I am asking it once more .

I have never owned a 4x4 in all my driving life which is now spanning close on 50years , but with old age and creaking joints making it hard work carting my pigeon gear around wet fields it is now time to try and make life a bit easier  .

So my requirements are ,

A 4 x 4 estate car would do nicely, not to high off the ground to get in ( as my wife isn't that tall ) , economical to run , plenty of boot space for dog and gear , would be used as the only car I have , budget around 5 to 6k.

Maybe the car don't exist , but some pointers from you wise 4 x 4 people would be of great help . THANKS

MM, Toyota Rav4. I had a 05 and would still have it if I hadn't had the money for a Hilux. My dad bought a 07 Rav 4 after his Audi A1 was written off. He loves it and can now get round the shoot with ease. He is 75.

57 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Bought an early ish Range Rover 4.4 petrol - nothing like it to drive and will go thru any terrain you care to mention - unfortunately the Fuel Tanker that I have following cannot .

Two mates went up to the northern firths with us earlier in the season in a similar RR it returned about 15mpg  1100 mile round trip from n Lincolnshire used £435. in the xtrail we returned over 40mpg and used £145.

8 to ten trips a season the RR would hurt, plus the wash and Norfolk it would cause trouble with her indoors if i had a RR as much as i would like one. 

That's not good lancer425 - mine is far superior and averages 17mpg - we actually stopped once for a mini celebration when the readout proudly displayed 18mpg. It's not just the fuel with a RR though - it's the cost of the bits that break or simply fall off as you drive along, Wing mirror, for example, just over £800. 

On 2/18/2018 at 18:36, marsh man said:

So my requirements are ,

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon.  It's road focused yes but it has a durable interior (for dogs, mud, shooting), amazing performance, great handling, tons of luggage space and they are pretty much bomb proof.  I had a 2005 and it was fantastic.  Economical....hmmm, not overly so, but not many 4x4 are.  They are superb for towing too.

Circa 35-40mpg if driven carefully.

The ride is firm, but it's possible to tweak that with tyre choice.  I personally never found it to be an issue unless I mis-hit a speed bump.  I'd at least suggest a test drive because they drive so well.

Should find a good one for your budget but shop around carefully as many have been messed with and/or towed with excessively.

Once you feel the performance, it's hard to keep the smile off your face.

Edited by notsosureshot

8 hours ago, notsosureshot said:

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon.  It's road focused yes but it has a durable interior (for dogs, mud, shooting), amazing performance, great handling, tons of luggage space and they are pretty much bomb proof.  I had a 2005 and it was fantastic.  Economical....hmmm, not overly so, but not many 4x4 are.  They are superb for towing too.

Circa 35-40mpg if driven carefully.

The ride is firm, but it's possible to tweak that with tyre choice.  I personally never found it to be an issue unless I mis-hit a speed bump.  I'd at least suggest a test drive because they drive so well.

Should find a good one for your budget but shop around carefully as many have been messed with and/or towed with excessively.

Once you feel the performance, it's hard to keep the smile off your face.

THANKS notsoureshot    ...... A Subaru is now high on the agenda , I am sure one will come along before to long :good:

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

THANKS notsoureshot    ...... A Subaru is now high on the agenda , I am sure one will come along before to long :good:

Glad to help.  I dont think you'd be disappointed.  Have a look at this top gear clip if you want to see what they can do.  The only thing they have wrong with them is image, the boy racer thing but I personally dont care as most boy racers dont have roof bars like I did :P  Pics of mine below.

Ahem, as I said I'm not a boy racer, ahem....but did you know the WRX does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, quicker still with a Prodrive Performance Pack on (factory fit), although a bit noisier.  The Forester 2.5 Turbo is also very quick.  But in reality, all this translates to incredible overtaking abilities and handling around the twisty corners of the countryside, they handle like a go-cart, even in the estate form.  Took a friend of mine for a spin around Loch Ken in Scotland in the WRX once.  He did actually poop himself a bit when we were 4 wheel sliding on gravel at about 50mph, but the car behaved impeccably.

I've had quite a few performance cars and the Subaru is definitely up there even compared to Porsche and Audi, in terms of the driving experience.  Only car I think that could ever have been made to beat this for similar money would be if Mazda had made the "3" MPS in a 4x4 version.

Oh...and dont buy a grey import subaru, there are lots about!

DSC01904sm.jpg.f9d079cdfc8da8e09c6a3fa7a8a3074a.jpg

DSC01908sm.jpg.04afffc1885ab0a126e6e82554b5770a.jpg

10 hours ago, notsosureshot said:

Glad to help.  I dont think you'd be disappointed.  Have a look at this top gear clip if you want to see what they can do.  The only thing they have wrong with them is image, the boy racer thing but I personally dont care as most boy racers dont have roof bars like I did :P  Pics of mine below.

Ahem, as I said I'm not a boy racer, ahem....but did you know the WRX does 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, quicker still with a Prodrive Performance Pack on (factory fit), although a bit noisier.  The Forester 2.5 Turbo is also very quick.  But in reality, all this translates to incredible overtaking abilities and handling around the twisty corners of the countryside, they handle like a go-cart, even in the estate form.  Took a friend of mine for a spin around Loch Ken in Scotland in the WRX once.  He did actually poop himself a bit when we were 4 wheel sliding on gravel at about 50mph, but the car behaved impeccably.

I've had quite a few performance cars and the Subaru is definitely up there even compared to Porsche and Audi, in terms of the driving experience.  Only car I think that could ever have been made to beat this for similar money would be if Mazda had made the "3" MPS in a 4x4 version.

Oh...and dont buy a grey import subaru, there are lots about!

DSC01904sm.jpg.f9d079cdfc8da8e09c6a3fa7a8a3074a.jpg

DSC01908sm.jpg.04afffc1885ab0a126e6e82554b5770a.jpg

Very nice motor notsosureshot , looks spotless and very well kept , wish I could say the same about my motor , a front two wheel drive Astra that pretend its a Land Rover.

As for speed , I am not exactly a boy racer , although I did get caught going through a peed camera at 36mph a few years back , cost about £90 and a morning in a classroom , mind you , I did get a cup of tea and a couple of biscuits :lol:

Good choice. Mate had one of those Subaru pick ups that were all the rage ( around here anyhow ) in the late '80's. It would go anywhere, and eventually went to the north east when it was stolen one night. Local plod asked him in the canteen one day ' Was there owt in it ......?' 

'Mmmmm......just me keys.....!' :lol: