Help Required In Picking The Right 4 x 4 PLEASE

marsh man

I can't speak highly enough of the Subaru awd system! It's a phenomenal car, mpg isn't great but try not grinning ear to ear after driving the turbo version. 

If you want more ground clearance check out the forester or outback, they offer better measurements than most so called 4x4s 

I have a Forester XT 2.5 turbo has lots of toys considering it’s 13 year old. 

I was going through my invoices and receipts last week and worked out over 30 months it’s cost me £36 a month including servicing, mot’s tyres and some other parts and consumables.

my wife takes the **** out of it calls it the hearse etc but she’s admitted that she now always wants me to own a AWD/4WD estate.

Scoobies are great but also very thirsty.  A mate has had a couple of Foresters and round here, 20mpg was about it (lots of hills) with perhaps 25 on a run, more often 18mpg on short trips.  He had his LPG converted but they were still very thirsty.  I really rate the older petrol Honda CRV 4x4s and Rav4s...stick some all terrain tyres on them and they'll go anywhere you need within reason and remain reliable and cheap as chips to run.  

Edited by Savhmr

MM

You may already be fixed up. If not some good suggestions above. Mine would be a Subaru Forester (not the turbo version) or an old style Honda CR-V. I have had both in the recent past. The Subaru was a work horse which never got stuck with me but was thirsty. The CR-V was great and did good miles to the gallon and was good off road until someone missed a corner and hit me head on and wrote the car off. I now have another CR-V.

My dad has run Subaru's (firstly a legacy, then 3 foresters) since the early 90s and they have all been excellent, always bought second hand and kept until 10 years old. He finally splashed out on a new forester last year and loves it.

I run a 2000 RAV4 5 door petrol, which I have as a shoot truck and which the wife uses during the week. Spacious with removable rear seats, excellent reliability. With good tyres it has never got stuck and still returns 30mpg. Your budget would get a nice MK3.

I would recommend either make.