Glasses and the rain!

murph3010murph

Right guys I'm kinda new to wearing glasses and it would seem i needed them as my clay scores have certainly gone up since I got them.  Only thing is the rain.  How do you guys who wear them cope or deal with the rain.  Have thought about contacts for the field already but not sure if I will getc on with them.  Any way any tips? 

It' been a while since  I went to spec savers but you can (could at least) get a block of red wax that was polished onto the lense in about 20 seconds. They didn't steam up and water ran off immediatey.  I sed to use it on the bathroom mirror, windscreen all sorts. I bet you can still get it and I shall get some more myself. 

First off I wear contacts for shooting in anything appoaching wet weather. Specs have the obvious problem, but also can steam up under a peaked cap. Worse still peaked caps such as baseball type have too long a peak and restrict or remove your view of over head birds. I largely wildfowl and cut the peaks right back on waterproof caps as when ducking below a bank you don't see the geese over your head. You will only do so at risk of a crick in your neck.

My advice is try daily contacts and if you persevere they are by far the best way to go.

Good luck

I'm with the cap brigade, but also find specs not perfect. I tried contacts, but never found the right combination that worked for me over every distance. Mind you I only shoot in the field, so need to see birds from varying distances, where as a rule, clays are roughly the same distance away each time.

18 hours ago, washerboy said:

I’m in the same situation but you will find after a while you shouldn’t notice your baseball cap .

Good to know thanks

18 hours ago, motty said:

Agreed!

Ah right yeah I do tend to pull baseball caps down a bit so good tip thanks 

18 hours ago, GingerCat said:

It' been a while since  I went to spec savers but you can (could at least) get a block of red wax that was polished onto the lense in about 20 seconds. They didn't steam up and water ran off immediatey.  I sed to use it on the bathroom mirror, windscreen all sorts. I bet you can still get it and I shall get some more myself. 

Never heard of this if you have a link or brand ?

18 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

First off I wear contacts for shooting in anything appoaching wet weather. Specs have the obvious problem, but also can steam up under a peaked cap. Worse still peaked caps such as baseball type have too long a peak and restrict or remove your view of over head birds. I largely wildfowl and cut the peaks right back on waterproof caps as when ducking below a bank you don't see the geese over your head. You will only do so at risk of a crick in your neck.

My advice is try daily contacts and if you persevere they are by far the best way to go.

Good luck

I was thinking this has to be the best way to deal with it 

An interesting thread, I started wearing glasses 3 months ago, but have struggled with both rain spots and steaming up lenses myself, I thought about a cap but my son wears one and never sees the birds passing over his head, very frustrating ,

I have also noticed in very sunny conditions that birds flare away as I look up and have put it down to reflected light from the glasses, 

So it looks like I will have to start trying out some of your suggestions.!!!

7 hours ago, lakeside1000 said:

An interesting thread, I started wearing glasses 3 months ago, but have struggled with both rain spots and steaming up lenses myself, I thought about a cap but my son wears one and never sees the birds passing over his head, very frustrating ,

I have also noticed in very sunny conditions that birds flare away as I look up and have put it down to reflected light from the glasses, 

So it looks like I will have to start trying out some of your suggestions.!!!

There are no plus points to glasses other than vision restoration,  but you do get used to living with them eventually !

Edited by matone