Shooter series

Rewulf

Mmmmm....sounds a bit like a movie I watched where a woman in a cabin was getting attacked by a huge bear. She fired at it through the window and it had as much effect as #8 shot on a buffalo. She had not used a shotgun before, but eventually managed to kill it at around 30 yards with one bird shot cartridge and the semi auto pointing over its head. Continuity I believe it's called ?

Haven’t seen it but from what I’ve heard it doesn’t live up to the film, which I really enjoyed. 

I noticed another Wahlberg film was in the other night...namely ‘Lone Survivor’. Not a bad film but differs from the book greatly in the final half hour or so. I’d only recommend the book if you don’t mind religious fervour. 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Haven’t seen it but from what I’ve heard it doesn’t live up to the film, which I really enjoyed. 

I noticed another Wahlberg film was in the other night...namely ‘Lone Survivor’. Not a bad film but differs from the book greatly in the final half hour or so. I’d only recommend the book if you don’t mind religious fervour. 

I lasted 15 minutes, it's awful! 

I've read the book and seen the lone survivor film, I was interested enough to find out what actually did happen on operation red wing. 

And its nothing like either.. 

18 minutes ago, Scully said:

The tv series isn't brilliant. Wahlberg's film is quite good but not a patch on the original Stephen Hunter book trilogy, "Point of Impact"  "Dirty White Boys" and "Black Light", also "Time To Hunt". If you haven't read them I'd heartily recommend you at least give "Point of Impact" a try.

NB. "Dirty White Boys" isn't a Bob Lee Swagger book but nonetheless it forms part of a loose trilogy. It ties in with some recent PW topics but I won't say more because I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I have actuall read ‘Dirty White Boys’ some time ago and still have it somewhere.

I didn’t realise it was written by the author on whose book the film was based. ?

Yup, all written by the same author. Point of Impact is the book on which Shooter is based. The film was modernised to make Wahlberg's character a Gulf War vet rather than a Vietnam vet as in the original. Black Light deals with the death of Bob's father, Earl Swagger (there are 3 books based on him too). Dirty White Boys ties the three together, albeit somewhat loosely. Time To Hunt is the third Bob Lee Swagger book, and probably my favourite in the series.

Hunter is a pretty decent thriller writer but he has stretched out Bob's career rather too far. It's not that the later books aren't entertaining, because they are, but when your hero is almost a pensioner then it's probably time to write a new guy into your plots.

I'm still happy to recommend the books I've already mentioned though, and the Earl Swagger books, "Hot Springs",  "Pale Horse Coming" and "Havana" are all decent reads, especially "Hot Springs".