Smart Meters ???

matone

1 minute ago, Stonepark said:

I had a look through the installers manual and settings whilst the engineer was installing one in my old property and pointed out the capacity to remotely switch off, and he admitted it was present, but not currently being used.

I stand corrected.  I had understood that there wasn't any switch facility.

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I stand corrected.  I had understood that there wasn't any switch facility.

Although us measly technicians don't get told a lot what we do know is the meter can be switched off when tampering occurs, although I must admit we haven't been made aware as of yet if they have used this function. :good:

10 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I'm curious about this.  I have (almost) all LED lighting - probably over 100 individual units in a large house.  They have been superb.  Before, incandescents were energy heavy, and when I went to the (various types) of low energy (flourescent type) bulbs, the light was poor and about 30% suffer early life failures.

So far, since fully refitting the whole house 2 years ago - only one LED unit has failed (and that was in the first few hours and replaced under warranty).

Social media and google will tell you about the theories, up to yourself sir whether you believe them or not, but at around 5watt energy consumption I won't complain. :good:

Edited by Ttfjlc

34 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

I had a look through the installers manual and settings whilst the engineer was installing one in my old property and pointed out the capacity to remotely switch off, and he admitted it was present, but not currently being used.

I suspected this would be on the agenda tbh.they will not be doing it for our benefit ,I`m sure.

7 minutes ago, matone said:

I suspected this would be on the agenda tbh.they will not be doing it for our benefit ,I`m sure.

It's a 'government initiative' - dating initially to when Ed Milliband was climate and energy minister.  Much 'hyped' by Chris Huhne (who ended up in gaol for 'perverting the course of justice' (lying)) and since watered down by the present government who have made it compulsory only for all to be 'offered' a smart meter, not to be made to have one installed (yet anyway).

Make no mistake, there have been a lot of very dodgy fingers in this pie already!

9 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It's a 'government initiative' - dating initially to when Ed Milliband was climate and energy minister.  Much 'hyped' by Chris Huhne (who ended up in gaol for 'perverting the course of justice' (lying)) and since watered down by the present government who have made it compulsory only for all to be 'offered' a smart meter, not to be made to have one installed (yet anyway).

Make no mistake, there have been a lot of very dodgy fingers in this pie already!

To true! Hence my OP asking the collective PW knowledge base for their views .

May just opt out for now tbh.

Edited by matone

At some point soon we will all have them and want them. The Network Operators are all working on smart grid technology where by managing peak consumption they can reduce the need for new power stations. The ability to manage use to avoid demand at peak is a fundamental part of this plan and smart meters will be required to operate it. Under the arrangement power is likely to be priced by the minute and at peak minutes very expensive. The meters will allow control of individual non essential appliances to reduce load. 

We were thinking of getting one at the suggestion of the supplier.  What they DIDN'T tell us however  was that there wasn't actually enough room for it in our little cupboard in the hall.  We got an independent bloke in who reckoned it would cost £400-£500, to move things around or take stuff out that wasn't needed anymore (the house was built in the 30's), and that would cancel out any savings.   

1 minute ago, catchthepigeonmutley said:

that would cancel out any savings.

Smart meters don't save you money. 

You will only get savings if you use less energy.  To do that you don't need a smart meter, but you do need to turn of unused items, turn thermostats down to what is the minimum needed, and generally 'think energy saving'.  A smart meter might 'focus the mind' but it is only telling you what you should know already (or be able to find out very easily).

31 minutes ago, old man said:

To give anyone total control of your energy supply for their benefit? They would all love that scenario in the scheme of social engineering currently being undertaken?

Nope! 

Would make for interesting doorstep conversations when they came to fit? :welcomeani:

I`m sure it would, I`d love to hear your SE theories but that would be another topic

1 hour ago, old man said:

To give anyone total control of your energy supply for their benefit?

They have that anyway - except in special needs cases.  However currently they need to send 'a man in a van' to disconnect you.  I believe if necessary they can legally break in 'safety related' matters (e.g leaking gas), but otherwise need a magistrates court order.  It is a little easier for the with a smart meter, but conditions still apply - see https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-with-your-energy-supply/if-youve-been-told-your-energy-supply-will-be-disconnected/

No one mentioned the out of work meter readers?

The way things are going with our electricity generation (ie none being built for base load) the gov. want the ability to turn off, or restrict energy use, the smart meter was the way to go.  As the last coal generators go over the next few years, be ready for regular black-outs and company shut-downs.  it'll be like the 70's alll over again,

RS

Further reading:  https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2017/12/22/what-happens-when-the-coal-plants-shut/

3 hours ago, RockySpears said:

1. Meter readers are still required to read the millions of normal meters still out there.

2. Smart meters are legally required to be inspected once every 2 years, this is done by meter readers.

3. A lot of the meter readers at our firm were given the chance to retrain as meter fitters. :good:

11 hours ago, henry d said:

I`m sure it would, I`d love to hear your SE theories but that would be another topic

Don't have any theories, quite willing to wait it out.

4 hours ago, RockySpears said:

The way things are going with our electricity generation (ie none being built for base load) the gov. want the ability to turn off, or restrict energy use, the smart meter was the way to go.  As the last coal generators go over the next few years, be ready for regular black-outs and company shut-downs.  it'll be like the 70's alll over again,

RS

Further reading:  https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2017/12/22/what-happens-when-the-coal-plants-shut/

Already seeing something here, more power cuts in last 3 months than 3 years.

14 hours ago, old man said:

Don't have any theories, quite willing to wait it out.

Already seeing something here, more power cuts in last 3 months than 3 years.

Think it`s accepted that decisions on new power generating stations were not taken early enough ,consequently we are heading for shortages in the relatively near future as old plants reach their end.

Don`t go all conspiracy theory on us, batteries are being used by many countries to allow peak useage to be handled better, especially as we are relying more and more on renewables.

You can`t suddenly turn on a bit extra wind when everyone gets out of their seats after Emmerdale to make a cuppa, so the batteries are charged up when there is plenty of energy at night etc and used to help the grid cope with sudden extra demand.