Blackneck Vs Bazanty Pheasants

Colc08

What are people thoughts and experiences on the old age debate of what pheasant?

Last year (and 1st season shoot) I had Manchuran x's and was forever dogging the bloody things back. This year I want to go for Blacknecks and although I know they may lack flying ability over what it a flat-ish topography I am hoping that they will stay at home a bit better which for me as a part timer with a business to run will result in a little less intense dogging in. 

However my poult supplier has ask if I would be willing to take Bazanty's which I believe may be a middle ground compromise between holding okay-ish and also perhaps flying a little better than a Blackneck.

Thoughts?? 

Last season was particularly bad for holding birds, mainly due to the amount of natural food around in the autumn.

Why don't you see if you can have a mix of bazanty's and blackneck's, then you will see how they compare in flying ability, and how many of each end up on the game cart?

We had Bazanties for the first time this year they were a nightmare from day one ok so this last season was bad for wandering but they were no where to be found on the plus side the few that did stay flew realy  high many to good for our guns but I think they did not land on our estate. We are not having them again going for a Bazantie cross this year .

I liked the old black necks. Given some topography to shove them off they are good enough for a small shoot and what you get on the table are excellent eating, that is, if some wossock doesn't try to blow then to bits (see picture) The dark circle in the meat I am sure was the wad !! and there are 14 pellet holes.

I digress, yes, if you have a bit of highish ground to push them off then the blacknecks will hang around if the food and environment is right, but they can eat, which is why they produce a large carcass

2018-02-04 12.14.32 (800x450).jpg

Edited by Walker570

• 1 year later...
On 19/02/2018 at 12:02, Colc08 said:

What are people thoughts and experiences on the old age debate of what pheasant?

Last year (and 1st season shoot) I had Manchuran x's and was forever dogging the bloody things back. This year I want to go for Blacknecks and although I know they may lack flying ability over what it a flat-ish topography I am hoping that they will stay at home a bit better which for me as a part timer with a business to run will result in a little less intense dogging in. 

However my poult supplier has ask if I would be willing to take Bazanty's which I believe may be a middle ground compromise between holding okay-ish and also perhaps flying a little better than a Blackneck.

Thoughts?? 

How did you get on with the Blacknecks? We're trying a few this season for the first time. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...