Dentists

Walker570

When countless billions are being spent on a stupid high speed rail route, I find that I cannot register as an NHS patient at any dentists I have telephoned. Fortunately for me it is not an emergencey but I have paid National Insurance for 60yrs and the situation is inforgivable. There is no doubt this cointry is going down the tubes fast and our politicians need to sort the priorities out quickly. Cutting the multi millions we send to other countries in foreign aid would be a start, cancelling the stupid high speed rail project 2nd.  Not a rant ..FACT.

some of the problem is people not going to there appointment  i have heard of one dentist who is now taking  i believe  £20.00 non returnable  because of this for an appointment, my dentist practice 2 dentists posts a sign of missed appointments in the previous month last Octobers was 17 hours lost say 4 an hour 68 appointments ????????? 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

When countless billions are being spent on a stupid high speed rail route, I find that I cannot register as an NHS patient at any dentists I have telephoned. Fortunately for me it is not an emergencey but I have paid National Insurance for 60yrs and the situation is inforgivable. There is no doubt this cointry is going down the tubes fast and our politicians need to sort the priorities out quickly. Cutting the multi millions we send to other countries in foreign aid would be a start, cancelling the stupid high speed rail project 2nd.  Not a rant ..FACT.

Politicians have already  sorted their priorities out,namely how to keep their snouts deeply in the trough.

Then privatise the whole system and we can pay for medical insurance and no deductions for National Insurance. People like me who have paid well in advance for treatment and then no longer can get what we paid for. 

Like, if ten years ago you started payments on a new gun that was promised on the final payment but when that arrived they said they didn't have the funds to supply it.

Edited by Walker570

NHS dentists have come and gone in my home town since the late ‘80’s .......and now gone again. Last one closed just before Christmas leaving two private practises. Have found one 13 miles away but I still have to pay more than NHS prices. 

Its just the wayv at things are going. Getting to see a GP has grown harder and harder unless you’re gushing from an artery! ?

I'm getting a root canal and crown finished on Wednesday for a total cost of £1200, with a dentist recommended to me by a maxillofacial surgeon I know. 

The amount of time that will have gone into it is many times more than that which is viable on the NHS reimbursements for dentists. (Four to five hours versus plus making the crown vs about one as the most that I am told would be profitable at NHS rate). I don't generally think getting someone on a price that means they have to madly rush the job to make any profit is a good idea, especially not on my teeth. 

58 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

I'm getting a root canal and crown finished on Wednesday for a total cost of £1200, with a dentist recommended to me by a maxillofacial surgeon I know. 

The amount of time that will have gone into it is many times more than that which is viable on the NHS reimbursements for dentists. (Four to five hours versus plus making the crown vs about one as the most that I am told would be profitable at NHS rate). I don't generally think getting someone on a price that means they have to madly rush the job to make any profit is a good idea, especially not on my teeth. 

This is the problem at my dentist, your in and out so quick for a check up your barely sat down, and the last time I had work done they were trying to drill before the numbness had even kicked in, even though i couldn't feel my face for the next 4hrs

2 hours ago, Wb123 said:

EXACTLY my point. The system is not providing the funds, it is being wasted elsewhere on airy fairy projects that I am sure is a result of lobbying by interested parties.  Did any of you hear of an outcry for that silly high speed train service? No, but I have a feeling some infrastructure company was tugging apron strings.If Dental Practises where funded properly then there would not be a problem and I know dentists would do a good job as a result.

...and if you don't understand the term 'apron strings' you ain't old enough, but it was a term used when a kid was trying to influence his mother for something, way back when.

The scam with our nhs dentist is that they send you a "reminder" that you haven't had a check up for 6 months and then casually hint in the letter that as you could be removed from the practice for not using them.

As someone who has paided NI for 45 years l don't expect to be intimidated into paying however much it now is to sit for 5 minutes and be told all is ok, when if l want treatment when l want it l'm told through sucked teeth that their jam packed but l can be squeezed in for a private appointment at x cost, not going to happen.

No one sends me a letter from the local hospital saying that l've not been in of late for treatment, and for not using them l could have my name removed from the system.

The only thing free after your 60 in England is your prescriptions.

Unless of course you have never contributed at all into this country and you can then have what ever you like from all of the nhs systems for free.

Amen.

I am private with my dentist pay less than £40 pm see my dentist twice a year for check ups ( unless i have a problem then you see her straight away ) 

The hygienist i see every 3 months for a scale and polish the only cost i have apart from my monthly payment is if there is any work to do at the lab then i pay for that...

Got to admit they are the best I've ever been to over the years..

4 hours ago, Scully said:

NHS dentists have come and gone in my home town since the late ‘80’s .......and now gone again. Last one closed just before Christmas leaving two private practises. Have found one 13 miles away but I still have to pay more than NHS prices. 

Its just the wayv at things are going. Getting to see a GP has grown harder and harder unless you’re gushing from an artery! ?

Here in the night you can expect a 25 mile ambulance ride as no A & E in the county town. 

26 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

I am private with my dentist pay less than £40 pm see my dentist twice a year for check ups ( unless i have a problem then you see her straight away ) 

The hygienist i see every 3 months for a scale and polish the only cost i have apart from my monthly payment is if there is any work to do at the lab then i pay for that...

Got to admit they are the best I've ever been to over the years..

Same here, costs the Mrs and me £40 per month for both of us and we get just the same Hawkeye says. First class treatment and if you have an urgent request, ring up and ' either can you come now or this afternoon will be fine'. I know you have to pay more, but the service is excellent.

16 minutes ago, old man said:

Here in the night you can expect a 25 mile ambulance ride as no A & E in the county town. 

Mmmm....it makes you think doesn’t it. I recently moved from a small market town to a tiny village. It’s more or less the same distance in miles to our nearest A&E, but my former place of abode was on a major road with paramedics often parked up in town. 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

Mmmm....it makes you think doesn’t it. I recently moved from a small market town to a tiny village. It’s more or less the same distance in miles to our nearest A&E, but my former place of abode was on a major road with paramedics often parked up in town. 

Yep, they completely ruined the county town hospital and walked with big pay outs. All in our best interest of course.

Used Denplan before I moved - £19 a month, had 2 appointments a month, all your treatment covered and also accident dental / sports insurance for your teeth. 

Regarding NHS/payments - if you look at countries where they have amazing healthcare, it’s either totally private, or they have a much higher rate or taxation. 

Everyone likes to complain that the services are under funded, yet they don’t want to pay more tax.