Never seen as many

Davyo

1 hour ago, Davyo said:

Pigeons galore in County Durham,Ive never seen so many before.Driving around the country roads there are croups in excess of 800+.Nobody seems to be shooting them,has decoying died out or something.

Just because you are seeing good numbers of pigeons, it doesn't mean that no one is shooting them.

No body has been shooting the fields i pass every day.Even the wife commented on the sea of blue feeding on rape Saturday gone.Anyone in Durham wants to getting knocking on Farmers doors around (Running Waters Pub) where the roundabout is to Durham,Bowburn,Sherburn Village.Likewise the fields either side of A19 Hartlepool and Station Town turn off.

There are a lot of VERY large numbers around, i shoot over lots of farms as soon as you shoot a few they go and do not return, i shot last week on a field that is always great for 20-80 birds this time of year I looked at my diary  shot over 300 at the start of Feb 2016,  this winter has not been good for decoying any numbers shot more in woods on flight lines, we need an artic chill for a week or two.

16 hours ago, Davyo said:

Pigeons galore in County Durham,Ive never seen so many before.Driving around the country roads there are croups in excess of 800+.Nobody seems to be shooting them,has decoying died out or something.

No, it's not died out, but shooting a decent bag over Winter Rape requires a lot of effort and a fair bit of skill, which a lot of people don't have, or can't be bothered to acquire.

Wait until the Spring Drillings start, they'll be no shortage of shooters around then.:yes:

Cat.

7 minutes ago, Catamong said:

No, it's not died out, but shooting a decent bag over Winter Rape requires a lot of effort and a fair bit of skill, which a lot of people don't have, or can't be bothered to acquire.

Wait until the Spring Drillings start, they'll be no shortage of shooters around then.:yes:

Cat.

Agreed.

My take on the matter is that if you are a true pigeon shooter then you shoot all year round not just at the optimum times unless there are other matters to attend to like wildfowling or game shooting.

18 minutes ago, JDog said:

Agreed.

My take on the matter is that if you are a true pigeon shooter then you shoot all year round not just at the optimum times unless there are other matters to attend to like wildfowling or game shooting.

I agree with you even if i sometimes feel more like a bird scarer than a shooter!  :whistling:

Still seeing nothing much in my part of Kent, there have been a few flocks of about 30 birds recently arrived, they distinguish themselves from the "resident" few by flying off in a huge panic if you slam the truck door, half a mile away from them.

Its been one of the quietest Winters I can remember.

When the big flocks are around I have had some very large Winter bags, but as has been said, there are many days when I am just a mobile bird scarer.

10 hours ago, 24230 said:

There are a lot of VERY large numbers around, i shoot over lots of farms as soon as you shoot a few they go and do not return, i shot last week on a field that is always great for 20-80 birds this time of year I looked at my diary  shot over 300 at the start of Feb 2016,  this winter has not been good for decoying any numbers shot more in woods on flight lines, we need an artic chill for a week or two.

I honestly don’t think it makes a lot of difference.

10 hours ago, getthegat said:

Went to Harlow today and coming back onto the M11, saw a huge stash of birds in some small trees and on the hedges. Must have been in the hundreds for sure. Pigeons packed tight as sardines on any available branch.

You have my condolences. But on the bright side, at least you got out again.

Always a few about either side of the 414 before the two petrol stations. That big wood at the back helps.