FEO calibre judgement on land

Harry136

Hi

Does anyone know what parameters or conditions an FEO judges hat calibre can be used on a given piece of land?

The reason I have asked is because when I got my FAC I originally wanted a .308 so that I could shoot both deer and boar as well as some target shooting.

The FEO only granted me a .243 as that is what he stated the land was safe for.

Now i'm wondering if I would be able to get a variation for a .270 which would suit my needs. Is there much difference in terms  of range danger area or other factors which mean I wouldn't be able to use a .270 on the land that I shoot on?

As far as I am concerned all cenerfire rounds are just as dangerous as each other, just some have a longer range than others.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, spandit said:

Which is better?

I love my .222, it's as accurate as an accurate thing at long range. No experience of .223 so don,t know the benefits if there are any.

I just rolled over and accepted FEO,s decision.

Only wanted the .223 because of supposed availability of ammo but had no problem feeding the .222.:)

I’ve got land passes for 22hornet and a mate had it passed for 22lr only a month apart. 

Ive other ground passed to 22lr but can use hmr ??? I really don’t know. 

Another farm is passed to .223 between main roads but the farm next door is 243 and the grounds join up.

the 243 ground was originally passed to 30-06 .

im totally lost with it

Have you got land with boar on if so carry on with the 243 it is only recommended not law that you use a 270 and above it is ridiculous this land is only good for 243 and you can't use a 308  i had the same trouble myself so i got another bit of land and cleared it for the 308 but as i have an open ticket i shoot it on the land they would not clear for it 

Most of the FEOs problems are caused by idiots in the Home Office who stipulate these things. However I know individual FEOs have made up their own ideas.  The 222/223 is a case in point.    Do you have any high seats on the area ?   Try suggesting that you will put up a high seat and where and explain your fields of fire, the make up of the ground around etc etc. Build a case. A friend did this and succeeded in getting it passed.  You sometimes have to be a step ahead of these people.

Yep, i have to see FEO on Monday to get some ground cleared for a FAC shotgun even though i use my three shot on it. And  will be shooting the same shells just having more in the gun so can't see a need for it to have to be cleared. Only reason i can think of is having to have a named bit of ground for the grant of the FAC. I think they like to make things as much as pain in the rear as poss to put us off.

6 minutes ago, fse10 said:

Yep, i have to see FEO on Monday to get some ground cleared for a FAC shotgun even though i use my three shot on it. And  will be shooting the same shells just having more in the gun so can't see a need for it to have to be cleared. Only reasoni can think of is having to have a named bit of ground for the grant of the FAC. I think they like to make things as much as pain in the rear as poss to put us off.

Well, I would have a word about that as territorial conditions and land clearance should/does not apply to S1 shotguns.

2 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

Well, I would have a word about that as territorial conditions and land clearance should/does not apply to S1 shotguns.

That's what i thought, don't mind too much as will see if he will clear it for 22lr/17hmr for the rabbits & when the FAC for the S1 shotgun comes will put in for some rifles :good:.

52 minutes ago, fse10 said:

That's what i thought, don't mind too much as will see if he will clear it for 22lr/17hmr for the rabbits & when the FAC for the S1 shotgun comes will put in for some rifles :good:.

Why not ask him when he visits if he can see any reason why the land would not be ok for the .22 and .17 when he visits and if the answer is favorable put in for those calibers at the same time.

4 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

Why not ask him when he visits if he can see any reason why the land would not be ok for the .22 and .17 when he visits and if the answer is favorable put in for those calibers at the same time.

Put in for grant of Fac with my SGC renewal in December with Essex but the Met is checking the land as fall's under them so more messing about. So will ask him about clearing it for 22lr/17hmr then i will ask Essex when the S1 shotgun is granted to add 22 & 17 as land has been cleared ( i hope) already for these.

1 hour ago, fse10 said:

Put in for grant of Fac with my SGC renewal in December with Essex but the Met is checking the land as fall's under them so more messing about. So will ask him about clearing it for 22lr/17hmr then i will ask Essex when the S1 shotgun is granted to add 22 & 17 as land has been cleared ( i hope) already for these.

I obviously don't know the land but when I was getting mine cleared I tried to get them to clear it for the maximum calibre ?  What you don't want is to come back in a year and ask them to do it all again for a c/f that you might want for fox. Even though they said they would do this for me when the land fell out of their area it often had not been done and had to be done again.

36 minutes ago, oowee said:

I obviously don't know the land but when I was getting mine cleared I tried to get them to clear it for the maximum calibre ?  What you don't want is to come back in a year and ask them to do it all again for a c/f that you might want for fox. Even though they said they would do this for me when the land fell out of their area it often had not been done and had to be done again.

No need for anything bigger as Essex say 22 & 17 ok for fox & this bit of ground is only small & i have another perm that i will be asking for 243 on as has a fair few fox's on it & my mate shoots his on there. Will also be doing some paid stalking at some point this year.

3 hours ago, fse10 said:

No need for anything bigger as Essex say 22 & 17 ok for fox & this bit of ground is only small & i have another perm that i will be asking for 243 on as has a fair few fox's on it & my mate shoots his on there. Will also be doing some paid stalking at some point this year.

I’m in Essex and asked if I could have my rimfires (22&17hmr) granted for fox and was told no?? Got 223 so wasn’t a problem but thought it would be handy. If you go on Essex Police website it shows 22&17hmr as no good for Fox. They also don’t grant 243 for Fox, if you have deer on the land your good to go. If not your gonna have to get a few paid stalks pre booked.

hope this helps

25 minutes ago, Rst1990 said:

I’m in Essex and asked if I could have my rimfires (22&17hmr) granted for fox and was told no?? Got 223 so wasn’t a problem but thought it would be handy. If you go on Essex Police website it shows 22&17hmr as no good for Fox. They also don’t grant 243 for Fox, if you have deer on the land your good to go. If not your gonna have to get a few paid stalks pre booked.

hope this helps

And yet i know a few who their FEO has ok'ed 22 & 17 for fox. Don't you just love erm.