Pike Fishing and fish care?

chrisjpainter

I know more paper work is a right pain, but I'm starting to think something like licensing is the only way to protect these most delicate of fish. I've had a couple of nasty incidents this season resulting from shocking pike practices. I caught one that had a wire trace wrapped round its whole head so it could barely open its mouth. The gap between the two trebles was about 8", which is just an accident waiting to happen. Then a friend of mine caught one that had a broken jaw, most likely by some idiot not knowing how to hold them. And this is on a members only water that's locked 24/7.

Maybe some kind of obligatory course then license might be one way to at least help protect the fish? Any other ideas? I'm just tired of seeing people have no idea how to handle one of my favourite fish!

Given the huge numbers of anglers out there i think you've got no chance, i imagine you still get plenty of people fishing for pike without the right tackle to safely un hook them, probably still lots of folk who don't think they benefit the water by clearing up any sick fish?

if your on a private water you could probably have it brought up at your agm or monthly meetings??

My local club in their guide/members book it advised you to not return pike. Was only 3 years ago. I was shocked as i only joined to lure fish for them. I'm with a different club now.

Also they lost that lake anyway as a certain nationality decided to take that to heart and help clear it out along with other species. Was a bloody good lake, lots of fun and then it died within 2 summers. Shame