Another Nose in the Trough!

TIGHTCHOKE

Gentlemen, I offer for your consideration the tale of Councillor Robert Davis's life of luxury.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/19/full-list-of-westminster-councillor-robert-daviss-514-freebies

Equally I am sure that a small percentage of these freebies are actually related to his position of Deputy Leader of Westminster Council and Cabinet Member for Business, Culture and Heritage .

I am not jealous, jut concerned that all these freebies are given for one single purpose, to gain influence!

Looks like a bit of a non-story.  After a quick scan most of those look like tiresome work related events that I'm sure he'd have been happy not to attend.  It's not exactly running a property development business on the taxpayer and then to rub it avoid paying tax on the ill-gotten gains like Hazel 'flipper' Blears.

These people go into politics because it can be very lucrative, it offers many advantages including opportunities for personal advancement and opens many doors!.....it is human nature to take everything that is available or on offer..........the question is......would you refuse it?

4 hours ago, Tollerman said:

Living the 'Life of Riley' at the tax payers expense ? Its a hard life..

As far as I could see (admittedlly didn't read the whole list - bored) all hosts were private sector not public sector so technically not at our expense. But what a saddo attending all those junkets????

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

I bet Dianne Abbott's list would make interesting reading

I doubt you would learn anything.  It will be all mixed up, confused, and refer to non existent dates/organisations ........  she doesn't know if she is coming or going.  Future Home Secretary material in waiting.

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I hope it is a very long wait!

Happily, there is much truth in "Yes, Minister" in that the civil service run these big departments - and the minister only has some 'influence' over 'policy' ...... they will find it VERY difficult to do anything the civil service doesn't want.

The thing that grinds most about mp's expenses is the fact they can claim the total amount back when the rest of us can't even claim the same sort of work expenses against our tax bill! 

Nearly £38 for tea and coffee and I couldn't even claim the tax back on the tools I had to buy to do my job :no:

Most MPs expenses are many times the average salary (and of course they are tax free) - and on top of that a salary of about £70K inflation (and usually more) indexed, (and more for ministers) and a VERY generous defined benefit pension, free first class rail travel, subsidised restaurant, free London parking - many of them employing wives/family, 2nd home allowable as an expense ............. and to cap it all they bleat they are underpaid.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Most MPs expenses are many times the average salary (and of course they are tax free) - and on top of that a salary of about £70K inflation (and usually more) indexed, (and more for ministers) and a VERY generous defined benefit pension, free first class rail travel, subsidised restaurant, free London parking - many of them employing wives/family, 2nd home allowable as an expense ............. and to cap it all they bleat they are underpaid.

Nice work if you can get it.