Reloading room - temp and humidity

Does anyone know how warm and dry a reloading room needs to be? 

Just moved house and have an integral garage that I’ve put the gun cabinets in and my work bench for mounting the press. 

At the far end of the garage is the washing machine and dryer (plumbed in). 

I put a hygrometer in there and it’s showing average temp around 12c and 50-55% humidity. 

Blimey we are getting rather (can I say bottom area ?) A majority of my stuff is kept in a secure dampsealed vault, that includes bullets, primers,powder (in use) scales and all dies. The building itself has a heater that is set on frost protection. 

I do plan on a full insulation jobby, work tops, cupboards and fridge,but that's more for a my meat prep, bangers and burger. That will improve it a bit. 

Hi

I keep my Man-Cave at around 50% and 14degC minimum, using a dehumidifier to maintain the humidity. Having said this the workshop side is cooler - both areas are well insulated though.

Pretty sure I read somewhere about wood stocks and the like to be kept at 50-60%.

L

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Does anyone know how warm and dry a reloading room needs to be? 

Just moved house and have an integral garage that I’ve put the gun cabinets in and my work bench for mounting the press. 

At the far end of the garage is the washing machine and dryer (plumbed in). 

I put a hygrometer in there and it’s showing average temp around 12c and 50-55% humidity. 

That’s warmer than my house ;) 

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

Blimey we are getting rather (can I say bottom area ?) A majority of my stuff is kept in a secure dampsealed vault, that includes bullets, primers,powder (in use) scales and all dies. The building itself has a heater that is set on frost protection. 

I do plan on a full insulation jobby, work tops, cupboards and fridge,but that's more for a my meat prep, bangers and burger. That will improve it a bit. 

Let me know when you want the stuff ;) 

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Hi

I keep my Man-Cave at around 50% and 14degC minimum, using a dehumidifier to maintain the humidity. Having said this the workshop side is cooler - both areas are well insulated though.

Pretty sure I read somewhere about wood stocks and the like to be kept at 50-60%.

L

I’ve just read other people’s posts where they say their powder or primers went bad because they were out in the garage or similar. 

Assuminf this should be fine? 

The main thing with reloading, is to have a comfortable environment free from disturbances. Temperature and humidity should not affect your powder while you are reloading or the accuracy of your weighing. Single Based powders are just Nitrocellulose and are not hydroscopic so will not absorb water in a humid environment. However, if your equipment has been heated rapidly from cold such as in an outdoor shed and sweats with moisture then your calibration of scales and powder measuring will likely be out. As others have said, just store primers and powder in an airtight container and keep them cool and dry.

Temp and humidity are fine if powder is kept in its tub. The killer, with powder, is damp and carelessness when storing it (is: open jars or unsealed tubs, etc.) Which might result in a change in burning rate or in complete phisical (lumpy) and chemical changes.  That said it takes years in a decently aerated room which doesn't freeze. Personally i would care the powder is always stored and closed correctly and that there isn't dump. Other than that, anything in the 10-25 degrees region is ideal