Reasons to be cheerful

motty

I am now back into full pigeon shooting mode, as another wildfowling season has come to a close. I have been having a bit of a dabble at the pigeons in the last few weeks, but my biggest bag has been just 18, flighting in a wood (spectacular sport though it was).

I have been keenly keeping my eye out for pigeon activity, and I have been surprised at just how many of them there are at the moment. It seems everywhere I go I am seeing flocks numbering several hundred. I drove past the most distant farm I shoot, just after 3.30pm today. I saw at least a couple of thousand go to roost along a two mile stretch of road. Also, some of the rape fields that seemed previously devoid of birds have now got a few hundred on.

We all know, though, that seeing them and shooting them are completely different matters. However, I am confident that this will be a good year around my area of Norfolk for pigeon shooting.

There has been some very big bags posted elsewhere on the internet from up and down the country and also similar reports of big numbers. Perhaps these are normal as I have only just gone over to the dark side of the internet, impressive all the same.

Numbers are looking about average here, but any birds I am dressing for the table are in tip top condition, that's for sure.

3 hours ago, aga man said:

There has been some very big bags posted elsewhere on the internet from up and down the country and also similar reports of big numbers. Perhaps these are normal as I have only just gone over to the dark side of the internet, impressive all the same.

Numbers are looking about average here, but any birds I am dressing for the table are in tip top condition, that's for sure.

spot on  the bigger bags on maize and cover crops but plenty shot  on rape also, and it is the norm I have seen it for the last 3 years on other shooting pages