.410 bolt action

Foxy12

So. My local shooting ground has a little .410 bolt action Webley and Scott for sale. 

Really tempted to buy it, it’s up for £75 which I thought a little steep initially but done a bit of googling and seems to be at the lower end of the price range. 

Mare these as fun as they look? And could I actually use it for anything? ?

I've had one .it was really good .

I drilled some lead into the butt stock to counter balance the heavy front end .

I found I couldn't hit much flying (though I was less experienced in shottys and decoying then ) .but for static or running rabbits .it was awesome .it had a tight choke and patterned well out to 30 yds .hitting squirrels very hard ..

The bolt action soon becomes second nature .but it's not a fast reload .

If you fancy it why not .? They are well built and you should be able to sell it on for more than you paid if you smarten it up a bit .

Which is it - single shot, or 3 shot? I'm guessing at that price it's a single shot?

My now ex brother in law had/has a 3shot. I fell in love with it... so much so I hunted high and low for one of my own. Failed, but i did eventually find and buy a very VERY nice Norica 3shot from a fellow pigeonwatch member.

Biggest draw back to the "modern shooter" is they were all 2&1/2". so range is limited , they were ideal in small areas , orchards and around buildings . Check the bolt locks up OK and that it extracts/ejects , the extractors do tend to wear and replacements are not available as are the spring case lifters . Another thing to check is that when you pull the bolt back it dose not "come out" with out the trigger being pulled,  if a little extra force is used . .

They were great little guns in their day but not built for an extended long life so will depend on how much use /abuse the one in question has had .

21 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Biggest draw back to the "modern shooter" is they were all 2&1/2". so range is limited , they were ideal in small areas , orchards and around buildings . Check the bolt locks up OK and that it extracts/ejects , the extractors do tend to wear and replacements are not available as are the spring case lifters . Another thing to check is that when you pull the bolt back it dose not "come out" with out the trigger being pulled,  if a little extra force is used . .

They were great little guns in their day but not built for an extended long life so will depend on how much use /abuse the one in question has had .

The 3-shots are all 3" magnums ?

I like a lot of folk suspect have fond memories,had an Anchuuss(?) and webley bolt action 410s...brother and I got 4 cartridges between us and would get another 4 IF we came back with a rabbit or a pigeon...!!(who would have thought would now be sitting here drinking Chateau de Chasally....try telling the youth of today.........).

7 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

The 3-shots are all 3" magnums ?

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on this one . I do know that there was a lot of problem with the magazine feed and that Webley stopped manufacture in the early 70's shortly after someone was shot and killed with one , when it was reportedly dropped  on the ground butt first and went off . 

So I went and got it, put 25 cartridges through it and all is fine, ejects well, bolt moves freely and smoothly. 

Great fun to shoot, probably won’t use it an awful lot, although I do fancy a bit of squirrel/rabbit bashing at some point if I can find somewhere nearby. 

Thanks for the replies, pleased I went for it. Oh and got some more money off it too ?? Think I got a really good deal. 

19 minutes ago, Foxy12 said:

So I went and got it, put 25 cartridges through it and all is fine, ejects well, bolt moves freely and smoothly. 

Great fun to shoot, probably won’t use it an awful lot, although I do fancy a bit of squirrel/rabbit bashing at some point if I can find somewhere nearby. 

Thanks for the replies, pleased I went for it. Oh and got some more money off it too ?? Think I got a really good deal. 

ive still got my 410 webley..........bought it when i was in my early teens...........never gone wrong and that is decades service........

18 hours ago, theshootist said:

My father in law has an old Mossberg 3 shot bolt action squirrelled away. It has the adjustable choke popular in the 1960s. Surprisingly it feels well put together. 

The Mossberg is the same gun as the Norica ? although mine doesn't have the adjustable choke. Lovely little gun