A Perfect End for Myself

6.5x55SE

Have finished my jobs etc having a cuppa my wife remarked how windy it was why don't i go shooting. Now sometime back i obtained a day ticket with the intention of trying for some Pintail this marsh often held back end of the season. After checking that a decent tide after dark with this good wind possibly would push a few Duck into some of the secluded sheltered marsh pools.

A wet journey saw me stop a couple of times to see Geese feeding where a couple weeks previous I'd been having a shot or two pressing on i arrived at the chosen carpark starting to think at my age do i really want to face this wind an rain. Looking out over the Marsh the odd Duck moving semi lifted the spirits the bunch of Pintail dropping in soon had me out changed and off. It soon became obvious which area with a large creek and sheltered pool i needed to be. Finally reaching the large creek the small bunch of Pintail jumped just out of range followed by a good few Teal along with Widgeon and 4 Eygtian Geese.

All settled with my Trusty 20ga loaded with 3 Steel 7/8oz 3's i soon had my first second and third chance at Teal which all failed to connect. Instead of the flight increasing as i darkened it stopped feeling a bit dejected a single Teal caught me unaware but a instinct reaction shot killed it  a bunch of five lost two of it's number just as i was thinking about moving two duck appeared head-on low taking the first in front the second lifted flaring left it two folded with a big smile i praised my Lab as he retrieved a Duck and Drake Pintail so on that note i started the walk back for the last time this season.

Within 30yrd of the seawall surely not yes definitely Wink Wink Wink Wink straining my eyes at first was it low cloud !!!! Nope that smudge is moving that Wink Winking is getting louder the noise increases the smudge turns to a line then into 50+ individual Geese which are going to pass above me not 20yd high. Turning slightly to the last piece of light sky the Wink Winking turns to alarm calls as my first shot ball's a Pink flaring climbing two more quick shot's are followed by Thump Thump . My dog did not need the help but inspite of the many Geese I've shot i still had to run in .

I floated the rest of the way back to my truck. Laying 3 Pink's 3 Teal and 2 Pintail in the back my mind wandered back to the morning of September 1st 2017 where i brought the season in with a Triple at Greylag using the 20ga and now closed it with a Triple at Pink's using the 20ga.

Roll on September 1st 2018 :yes::good:

My season which as in fairness been a good one ended on a low note this morning, It was very quiet regarding duck i heard some greys in the dark behind me but they were too far away to see in the gloom.  No activity apart from a cormorant and a few duck over the water out of range, two greys showed up just as i was packing up, they presented a perfect shot directly overhead, only for me to make my move then the realisation i had left the safety on the auto i knocked it off but it was too late they were too far by the time i got back on them.   I had my chance given me on a plate but blew it rushing fumbling about reloading the gun and hiding as best i could as they got nearer.  It seems to have gone very fast this season role on September is all i can say.

I began to wonder if anyone still go during the 20 extra days below high water mark as this is the only thread I have seen of February wildfowling ,but as you have proved Boyd it is being pursued by a few dedicated wildfowlers and long may it continue .

Well done on both your inland and coastal last day success .