Mason4796

10 hours ago, motty said:

Makes me wonder how I have ever shot a 50 yard crow with 28 gm 7.5.

Crows must be seriously hard where you live, since you seem to need a light goose load to kill them!

There are a lot of variables involved and as such I dont think vindicating shooting crows at 50 yards with 7.5s is particularly responsible advice. I have head shot deer at 200 yards but wouldnt advise doing this to somebody asking about best practice or asking for general advice. 

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

There are a lot of variables involved and as such I dont think vindicating shooting crows at 50 yards with 7.5s is particularly responsible advice. I have head shot deer at 200 yards but wouldnt advise doing this to somebody asking about best practice or asking for general advice. 

Well I would, and have. Generally I use an ounce of 7. Unless the crows are wearing kevlar vests, I would certainly not use 4s on them, especially at just 30-35 yards.

2 hours ago, tomaddy525 said:

You could kill crows with No.9 and some choke at 30 yards!! Those loads are way over the top 

1 hour ago, motty said:

Well I would, and have. Generally I use an ounce of 7. Unless the crows are wearing kevlar vests, I would certainly not use 4s on them, especially at just 30-35 yards.

I did say 'past 30-35 yards' in my case out to 60 yards if need be.

7 minutes ago, moose man said:

Is it not better to be over gunned , I wouldn’t be happy shooting crows at fifty yards with 28 gr 7 , I would with 34 gr 5 , so every thing near or far gets the same ..I accept some people are much better shots than I .

Totally agree, respect for the bird you are shooting at. I do not think it has anything to do with being a good shoot, a heavy cartridge still needs putting in the right place. Take Mr Digweed without doubt the best shot in this country and he uses 34g 5, I know people that have shot with him and there ain't no 28g 7 in his hide !

25 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

Totally agree, respect for the bird you are shooting at. I do not think it has anything to do with being a good shoot, a heavy cartridge still needs putting in the right place. Take Mr Digweed without doubt the best shot in this country and he uses 34g 5, I know people that have shot with him and there ain't no 28g 7 in his hide !

Well, if George Digweed uses them, then obviously everyone else should.

Anyway, talk of respect is nonsense. Why not show even more respect and not shoot them at all?

10 minutes ago, motty said:

Well, if George Digweed uses them, then obviously everyone else should.

Anyway, talk of respect is nonsense. Why not show even more respect and not shoot them at all?

:lol: How dare people offer and opinion that differs with yours Motty. With your fame and amazing shooting achievements have they no respect? 

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

How dare people offer and opinion that differs with yours Motty. With your fame and amazing shooting achievements have they no respect? 

What fame and what shooting achievements would they be?

Motty, some people just do not get shooting with anything less than 34 gram no.5. Whilst I may not have as much experience as some on this forum, particularly the heavy cartridge brigade, my own modest bags sometimes encompassing some longish shots have been achieved with nothing more than 29 gram no. 6 and for a long time 26 gram no. 6.

I have thought about this respect for my quarry malarkey, and yes your right regardless of it being a crow or rook .. 

so tomorrow I’m going to take my DT11 and some Hull cartridge sovereign parcours , surly that’s more than enough respect for any bird ??

unles less its it’s a rough day weather wise , then it will be the semi auto ?

29 minutes ago, JDog said:

What fame and what shooting achievements would they be?

Motty, some people just do not get shooting with anything less than 34 gram no.5. Whilst I may not have as much experience as some on this forum, particularly the heavy cartridge brigade, my own modest bags sometimes encompassing some longish shots have been achieved with nothing more than 29 gram no. 6 and for a long time 26 gram no. 6.

I am sure you have seen the full collection of Mr Motty on Youtube shooting many a cracking Pigeon. That is the fame of which I talk JDog.  

8 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

I am sure you have seen the full collection of Mr Motty on Youtube shooting many a cracking Pigeon. That is the fame of which I talk JDog.  

Mike , mottys films are mostly fake , he used stunt pigeons most of the time mate ?

Edited by stevo

I picked up 500 ( 28 gram 6.5s last night Ken  for £130.00 , I like to have a few in for those special occasions ?

i went out for an hour just to see what they like on woodies , I took my dt11 fixed choke trap gun . Sweet mother of god !!!!!! 

I shot a 40 yard incomer and blighter hit the deck oven ready !  And feathers everywhere ?

17 minutes ago, motty said:

Brilliant, Stevo. Now that did make me laugh!

Yeah your numbers up motty , you must of know you would be rumbled at some point ?

I am sure if the op have got a reasonable amount of skill with a shotgun , he shouldn't find Rooks / Crows and Jackdaws to difficult , some of you might not agree but when I shot good numbers of corvids I found them easier to shoot than pigeons .

Maybe I was doing things wrong when it came to decoying ,but I found very few came and landed amongst the decoys , most of them came and nigh on hovered like hawks over the decoys , my set up was normally three or four dead ones pegged out with a dead pigeon laying on its back with a few feathers pulled out.

As for gun and cartridges , whatever you shoot well with and the cartridges you use for game / pigeons should be fine .

Same with most forms of field sports , a decent level of field craft is a must and without it you will be making it a lot harder than it should be.

Now if we get a problem with corvids we put the Crow cage out to keep the numbers under control.

17 minutes ago, Ollieollie said:

Nice shooting

Thanks Ollie , have been away from live quarry shooting for a year or so now , but I’m getting the bug back , going out over the weekend for a look , will be  the first time in a long while. , I have spent the past couple of hours digging out all my gear and getting more and more excited as I go haha ? 

its a shame the OP is so far away , he would be more than welcome to tag along with me for the day . 

Edited by stevo

• 1 month later...

I really don’t see how anything can be overkill if you aren’t going to eat the bird and dogs will get a hard time off undead crows.  Game birds and pigeons, yes but corvids no, the upmost respect is to kill the bird as convincingly as possible.

Maybe, on reflection  .50 cal and tannerite would be overkill..