Hide seat to short

I had the same problem im 6'1" and found the normal bucket seat to low so i started to shoot from a sitting position less movement to spook the birds..

I found some waste polystyrene sheets about 4" thick marked them out and cut them to sit on top of the bucket seat, then used gaffer tape round the edges to stop bits breaking off 

works a treat...nice and light as well...as comfortable i can stand now if i want to with no problems..

I made a swivel bucket seat some years ago for a low profile hide for crow shooting. I'm six foot and found the one bucket was too low so   I took another bucket put some gaffer tape round the base of the first bucket put the two together and it raised it four inches. Cut the base out of the bucket and glued the lot together.

I got one of these as I prefer to sit when shooting as the great master Archie Coates lectures on and with the swivel top its easy to swing round to follow birds.

Besides there is less movement for the pigeons to see if you dont keep bobbing up and down!

I took the cover off the bucket cut a 4" thick piece of dense polystyrene to fit in the bottom of the cover then put the bucket back in. No added weight to carry either!

Bit of gaffer tape round the top of cover to secure and jobs a good un can still shoot sitting down no problem

They now make a taller version!

• 11 months later...
On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 14:39, masmiffy said:

I got one of these as I prefer to sit when shooting as the great master Archie Coates lectures on and with the swivel top its easy to swing round to follow birds.

Besides there is less movement for the pigeons to see if you dont keep bobbing up and down!

I took the cover off the bucket cut a 4" thick piece of dense polystyrene to fit in the bottom of the cover then put the bucket back in. No added weight to carry either!

Bit of gaffer tape round the top of cover to secure and jobs a good un can still shoot sitting down no problem

They now make a taller version!

The taller version is better but still not tall enough for a tall bloke with dodgy knees (e.g. me.) I usually prefer to stand when I shoot, footwork and all that!

A mate of mine jammed his seat into a bait bucket which raised the height and he was chuffed to bits, I'm on the lookout for something similar, Maybe I'll take mine to the local carp angling shop for a fitting. I was also thinking about trying a builders bucket for size with the rim cut off and trimmed down to a reasonable height.

Just seen the last date, better late than never!

Edited by martinj

On 22/02/2018 at 13:09, A1Decoy said:

Spoil yourself and go for the new commander chair.. they go so tall you won't need to ever stand up!:good: Or our bucket seats go up to 50cm. How tall is your current one pictured? There is a 'small' and large version of the bucket seat selling so may be the small version?

http://www.a1decoy.co.uk/seats-66-c.asp

I use the A1 bucket seat 👍,  excellent bit of kit, I never go shooting without it. My mate has the one pictured further up the post, and his is a bit too low for him. I find mine spot on to shoot sitting down, and just the right height to stand up from. I`m 5.11" and my knees aren`t brilliant either

It's funny isn't it. I have always shot sitting down in a bale hide/pop up blind, whatever. It is just what you get used to I suppose.  Today I can't stand for more than a few minutes anyway without being in pain and my Bergara Stag seat is worth it's weight in gold, although I saw the A1 seat at the show and it lso looked a decent piece of kit.  All to our own if it works.

8 hours ago, old man said:

Nope, It ain't, yet?

I suppose I had a bit of an unfair advantage really, I used to run a clay club and would practice shooting whilst sitting down when all had gone home.  I find the shot preparation is vital, having seen an incoming bird, I will swivel around to be in the best position to take the shot. I then make sure my gun is up with the heel of the stock on my thigh and the barrel clear of the net. Then at the right moment, mount the gun pull ahead and shoot. I have never found that the gun being above the net, causes birds to flare away and by the time I am shooting their attention is on the decoys or the tree, whichever applies. 

Particularly interesting was an occasion when I forgot the seat and had to sit on the wet ground just using the gun bag for insulation. Didn't have much effect on that occasion as the birds ignored the decoys completely anyway and seem to be on holiday elsewhere now.

Interestingly I find that they do flare away if gun above net?

I use an old tall plastic kitchen bin (minus lid) -  its a good height, fits in my kit bag (from AA decoys) and holds my decoys and netting.  I have some netting slotted down outside the bin but in the kit bag so soft fit when carried on my back.  I empty it out and turn upside down to make a good height seat.  I can shoot sitting or easily raise up to shoot standing.  You could fit a cushion under the bin if you wanted a softer seat ... I just use a folded up hessian bag.