Problems with my Pattern?

Shotgun Mike

hi mike, i have had the same problem with the pigeons just sitting in the trees at the other side of the fields, Until i bought a flapper i tried it for the first time on sunday morning i found that it was pulling pigeons from 300 yard on a consistant basis, i also had 12 full bodied deeks on spring sticks the were rocrkin with the wind. I found that the birds pulled onto the flapper and then cruised on to try and land in with the deeks, for the first outing i was pleased.

work is the curse of the shooting man.

Vary the pattern, increase or decrease the number of decoys you put out, introduce a floater or two, or move your hide.

All of these things may seem a bit obvious, but they are things that I have done, in similar circumstances to those you are suffering and they worked (especially the hide moving). :D

I don,t think there are any hard and fast rules, for where you place your rotary, flapper, or floaters, as I have said before, it pays to experiment and change things.

On a horseshoe patter, I usually start off with my rotary at the head of the horseshoe, with a flapper in the pattern on one side and a floater, or two, just inside the end, of the horseshoes arms.

> > > > > > > > > > >

. ........... x Flapper...........>

. .....................................>

. .............................xRotary..>

.. .........................................>

. ........................................>

. ......................................>

. ...................xFloater.........>

........... xFloater..............>

> > > > > > > > > > >

As you can see, I spent most of Art and Technical Drawing lessons looking out of the classroom window. :D

I also thought that generally the rotor went at the front of the pattern,

I went out on Monday, having a very slow day I moved twice and in my third position, after an hour drinking coffee and only bagging 4 pigeons, I decided to try the rotor about 15 yards out to the back of the pattern.

After a few minutes they started trickling in, one after another over the roter, trying to land in the pattern.

Needless to say the afternoon was spot on, just goes to show, sometimes you never know what will work till you try it. :D

I have often had better results by having the rotor at the back on the outer edge of the patern. I think the moving birds at the front can often put them off from landing and then having to fly off over the moving birds.

As the others have said though it pays to experiment ,as what works one day does not necessarilly work the next.

:D

Hi all,

Some years ago i'd made some fibre glass shell decoy's , i used these for some time , then made them better by skinning pigeon curing the skins and covering fibre shells with them , heads as well ,great used these for some time , moved to better decoys , now having same trouble as everyone else, rotary shy ? used to decoy's ? fetched skinned fibred glass decoys out , mixed in with other decoy's BINGO!!:D you never know do you

Regards baikiel boy :P:D

What I usually do is to put the rotor slightly on the side of my horseshoe pattern a few yards away from the front end of the pattern.I put the bulk of my decoys in the front end and to increse confidence I put a couple of short floaters at the front mixed with the decoys(to imitate pigeons just before landing).I also put a floater 15 yards behind my pattern.This usually works very well.I plan to introduce Deako's flapper and try it at the front or middle of the pattern.