Manchester Clay Shooting Ground (New Layout)

KB1

Went yesterday after a few months of not being there and "All Change"…… new stands everywhere, and the remaining old ones roped off.

The reason I'm writing on here about it is……..

ITS WAY TO EASY:sad1:  Out of 155 cartridges I think I missed about 5 clays……..  I've NEVER had that sort of success rate, and to be honest I got bored with the ease of it all:unhappy:

Has anyone else been recently, and if so could you give your verdict on the new layout? (To be fair to MCSC they look as though they are mid way through refurbishment)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not been there in the last 6 months. I got fed up paying £30 only to get to the last one or two stands and run out of clays on the card. They had reduced the 'overages' number by over half, which is OK IF the bloomin traps are full and working, Our group of 4 had so many no birds that we ran out of clays at the last stand. I complained back at the clubhouse and was offered a 'top up' on the card foc. Problem was,  that would have entailed a walk all the way back to the last stand to shoot a handful of clays and it was, by now, raining heavily. We declined and left, not to return.  

I agree with the 'no bird' thing…… so so many times before, however that doesn't seem to be a problem since the re-vamp.

On reflection, maybe I'm being a bit too harsh on them as theres a lot of refurb work going on there at the moment, and all the new wood roofs and fascias do give it a 'clean' look…..

I just hope that when and if they open up some more stands that they aren't as easy as the others:rolleyes:

Maybe someone with inside info will elaborate, as the club themselves aren't giving out any advice on whats happening.

When did this change happen? I went last month (and at least once a month before then) and not noticed anything that dramatically different other than the usual rotation. Must be really recent.

I did notice them building the new wood stands last time I was there but not closed any at that point.

It's probably my favourite shooting ground now (after a few bad days there), but I'd have to 'third' the no-bird situation, pretty annoying. Although, credit to them, I've found them to be as reasonable as they were with you when I went back for a moan about it.

Off-topic (sorry to hijack the thread) - anybody know which days their guns are out for sale? Interested in picking up a 20 bore and wouldn't mind seeing what they have.

I’m no longer a member and haven’t been in years but got an e-mail off them on the 9th of this month. 

Dear Member,

The majority of the ground improvements over the last 12 months are now completed.

This includes;

•    A new toilet block

•    3 new towers ( all of the old towers have been moved to increase the variation of targets available to members).

•    All stands have been re-built- new weather proof roof, gun racks, bins, benches

•    New fencing

•    New shelters

•    New traps

•    New equipment

•    The car park in front of the club house has had tarmac & stones laid.

•    The road approaching the ground will continue to be maintained.

We are also in the process of building 2 new compac/ sport-trap areas which  will soon be available to members.

MCSC plan to improve the clubhouse and the corporate room in 2018.

As you can see there has been a massive investment in MCSC in 2017 and this will continue in 2018.

Events for 2018

•    Friday 30th March 100 esp open comp

•    ( the first for several years). Open to members at a discounted rate

•     

•    Wednesday 4th April Young Shots day

•     

•    Friday 4th May GMP Police Openshoot

I might take take a trip down again as it’s on my doorstep 

11 hours ago, DanBettin said:

When did this change happen? I went last month (and at least once a month before then) and not noticed anything that dramatically different other than the usual rotation. Must be really recent.

I did notice them building the new wood stands last time I was there but not closed any at that point.

It's probably my favourite shooting ground now (after a few bad days there), but I'd have to 'third' the no-bird situation, pretty annoying. Although, credit to them, I've found them to be as reasonable as they were with you when I went back for a moan about it.

Off-topic (sorry to hijack the thread) - anybody know which days their guns are out for sale? Interested in picking up a 20 bore and wouldn't mind seeing what they have.

Very recent I think, as they were working on it as I was there…..

Didn't even know they sold them:innocent:

11 hours ago, timps said:

I’m no longer a member and haven’t been in years but got an e-mail off them on the 9th of this month. 

Dear Member,

The majority of the ground improvements over the last 12 months are now completed.

This includes;

•    A new toilet block

•    3 new towers ( all of the old towers have been moved to increase the variation of targets available to members).

•    All stands have been re-built- new weather proof roof, gun racks, bins, benches

•    New fencing

•    New shelters

•    New traps

•    New equipment

•    The car park in front of the club house has had tarmac & stones laid.

•    The road approaching the ground will continue to be maintained.

We are also in the process of building 2 new compac/ sport-trap areas which  will soon be available to members.

MCSC plan to improve the clubhouse and the corporate room in 2018.

As you can see there has been a massive investment in MCSC in 2017 and this will continue in 2018.

Events for 2018

•    Friday 30th March 100 esp open comp

•    ( the first for several years). Open to members at a discounted rate

•     

•    Wednesday 4th April Young Shots day

•     

•    Friday 4th May GMP Police Openshoot

I might take take a trip down again as it’s on my doorstep 

Your lucky, I am a member and I didn't receive anything:sad1:

5 hours ago, DanBettin said:

Possibly. Would love to, but I'm up against it in work so getting it off might be tricky. Do you know the times mate? A late start/early dart is a lot easier to get than a full day off these days.

10.00am kick off! Last card 13.30! 

I'll be shooting it from 10.00 onwards! 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1776691609028180&id=165816930115664

Edited by Savage10FP

On 24/02/2018 at 16:47, Savage10FP said:

10.00am kick off! Last card 13.30! 

I'll be shooting it from 10.00 onwards! 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1776691609028180&id=165816930115664

Thanks mate! Does last card means last entry? As in I can get there at 1ish and start?

As an aside, something I've often wondered about competitions - normally the results of the competition are announced at the end of the day along with prizes etc. aren't they? But what if you started shooting as soon as the day started, you might not be around for the end. I'm quite possibly missing something simple here - I've only been to one competition, and this was the case - so everybody stuck around for the end.

Last entry 13.30! 

I'm only attending this for the experience of a Worsley comp and its local! The way they are doing the prizes seems a ball ache to me. Every reg shoot I've attended, A reasonable score in any class may put you in the money for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Depending what the club pay out too.....ie  Or first 3 shooters! Then you can collect at a later date! Some hold cash for 3 to 6 months!

Get the impression they want you hanging around (To spend more cash) on the chance your score wins your category! Bloody annoying if after 4+ hours waiting you are pipped to the post and win nothing!! 

Raffle is nice idea! But I can see that ruffling some feathers.........You go into a prize draw! So a 98 in AA could win a box of carts and a 77 in C class could win the more expensive trap!

Maybe I'm wrong???? But that's how I'm reading it. Open to hear other opinions on it! 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to know things have changed, not been for a while the entrance road got to bad, although last time I went it had improved some what, the prices tend to be on the steep side and used to be a member until they made it not worth while for me. The last problem I have is the competitions, I shoot for fun not competition as do the people I shoot with had it on a couple of occasions in the past where I have gone not knowing it was competition day, shooting a stand to have the competition shooters whining that we are shooting on report and the sign states sim pairs well that might be but I ain’t intrested in the comp so I will shoot them as we like 

They do try and keep on top of the road at Worsley. It's a never ending battle the paintball and air rifle crew don't help.Dave got a quote to have the road tarmacked .Dont think that would be a long term cure but he would have to foot the bill.Give the guy his due its ongoing all the time.Dipper.

21 minutes ago, dipper said:

They do try and keep on top of the road at Worsley. It's a never ending battle the paintball and air rifle crew don't help.Dave got a quote to have the road tarmacked .Dont think that would be a long term cure but he would have to foot the bill.Give the guy his due its ongoing all the time.Dipper.

Ye, it's not really their responsibility - and you have to expect that kind of drive up since a shooting ground has to be 'out of the way', was just saying.

Who can tell me what it is that's on the drive towards the shooting ground on the left just before the bend to the left? There seems to be two containers/sheds and a fair few cars usually outside of it. I can't work out what it is. It's well before the paintballing etc.

With regards to the road, the Guy living in what was the old Keepers Cottage has had to contend with, idiots in 4 x 4 vehicles hurtling through what is essentially, his yard, on their way to the various club venues, then more recently, bloomin great earth moving vehicles and wagons covering his property with mud or dust. At least the state of the roadway keeps the speed of those with at least half a brain, to a reasonable level. I fail to understand why some shooters feel the need to drive like idiots on private roadways,  leading to shooting grounds. All it achieves is to alienate other users of the road to the shooters, this has led, in the past,  to grounds being threatened with closure. 

7 minutes ago, Westley said:

With regards to the road, the Guy living in what was the old Keepers Cottage has had to contend with, idiots in 4 x 4 vehicles hurtling through what is essentially, his yard, on their way to the various club venues, then more recently, bloomin great earth moving vehicles and wagons covering his property with mud or dust. At least the state of the roadway keeps the speed of those with at least half a brain, to a reasonable level. I fail to understand why some shooters feel the need to drive like idiots on private roadways,  leading to shooting grounds. All it achieves is to alienate other users of the road to the shooters, this has led, in the past,  to grounds being threatened with closure. 

The woodsman who lived in the keepers cottage died a few months ago.His wife was evicted so the cottage was empty.I would think the cars that travel at speed could be works cars.thats my guess Dipper.

7 minutes ago, Westley said:

Think that's the air rifle club .Dipper

No, the car 'incidents' go back for some 25 years or more, long before any workers cars ever came to the site. I have been driving my 4 x 4 down there at some 20 mph, dodging the holes and have had some clown in a Rangey climbing all over my back bumper. At the first right hand bend, I pulled over. The afore mentioned plonker then took off like the proverbial with dust flying everywhere. It was parked in front of the clubhouse when I got there.