Manchester Clay Shooting Ground (New Layout)

KB1

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Catton Hall is different league - full stop.

It's shame about Manchester, because it is local for me. I might give it a whirl when the weather is cooler and the horse flies aren't about.

Horse flies at Worsley?  Never seen those! 

I have to agree about the clay cards though.  Faxudegla make a modest charge (fiver if memory serves correctly) if you want a card to keep/take away whereas at Worsley you only seem to be able to keep unused clays if you pay for membership (but you do then get cheaper clays).  Biggest surprise recently was Mickley Hall where their counters go up and you pay for what you use before you leave.

Catton may have a much better driveway and nicer clubhouse, but the opening hours aren't great and the layout (last time I shot there a couple of years ago) had some stands that felt odd as a game shooter.  Suspect it's probably down to planning, but given how close it is to various towns and the M56 I would expect they'd get a lot of extra shooters if they had an evening session or two.

Never quite sure what the business model is for clay grounds as I find it odd that Holmes Chapel has reopened but as DTL only.  Would have thought that being that close to M6 would have made it attractive for more disciplines.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, SxS said:

Horse flies at Worsley?  Never seen those! 

I have to agree about the clay cards though.  Faxudegla make a modest charge (fiver if memory serves correctly) if you want a card to keep/take away whereas at Worsley you only seem to be able to keep unused clays if you pay for membership (but you do then get cheaper clays).  Biggest surprise recently was Mickley Hall where their counters go up and you pay for what you use before you leave.

Catton may have a much better driveway and nicer clubhouse, but the opening hours aren't great and the layout (last time I shot there a couple of years ago) had some stands that felt odd as a game shooter.  Suspect it's probably down to planning, but given how close it is to various towns and the M56 I would expect they'd get a lot of extra shooters if they had an evening session or two.

Never quite sure what the business model is for clay grounds as I find it odd that Holmes Chapel has reopened but as DTL only.  Would have thought that being that close to M6 would have made it attractive for more disciplines.

I am a game shooter primarily, but grounds like Catton Hall, who have registered shoots have to include some tricky stands to save countless shoot off's. The last registered shoot was won with a 99/100, an excellent score by any standard. So if it was made easier for people  ???

I think the opening times may be governed by the local Planning Department, there have been a number of planning problems since they first opened their gates.

I can certainly vouch for the Horse flies at Worsley too  !

14 hours ago, SxS said:

Worsley you only seem to be able to keep unused clays if you pay for membership

One of the many reasons I kicked Worsley into touch about 5 years ago was that they put up membership fees and stopped the practice if members holding their card to retain unused clays (if there were any).   Many would put 150 on for a round due to the number of no birds so every 3 to 4 visits you occasionally had enough left on card for a round.

If they have re instated this it may be a point in their favour, however Catton still remains a better all round option for midweek, albeit only Wednesdays.

Edited by Yellow Bear
missed a bit

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Westley - glad you can remember the horse flies. I got a nasty bite on my arm which took about three months to heal.

We used to get given the Jungle Formula wipes, I still have some in my shooting bag. I also carry Jungle Formula sting ease, although I have never needed it, quite a few have !  I was bitten at Worsley a few years ago, when Reffing a sporting comp.

8 hours ago, Westley said:

I am a game shooter primarily, but grounds like Catton Hall, who have registered shoots have to include some tricky stands to save countless shoot off's. The last registered shoot was won with a 99/100, an excellent score by any standard. So if it was made easier for people  ???

Wasn't suggesting easier!  More the case that last time I went a lot (too many for my liking) of the stands were set up in ways that were completely alien to me as a game shot (one that was down into a wooded valley sticks in my mind).  Not knocking them if that's what their shooters like, but didn't have me thinking that I must rush back.

18 hours ago, KB1 said:

Out of interest, how much is it or 100 at Catton Hall?

I have not managed to get there since April, but it was £22 (I think).

22 hours ago, SxS said:

Wasn't suggesting easier!  More the case that last time I went a lot (too many for my liking) of the stands were set up in ways that were completely alien to me as a game shot (one that was down into a wooded valley sticks in my mind).  Not knocking them if that's what their shooters like, but didn't have me thinking that I must rush back.

I have shot Grouse below the level of the Butt.  I do not think many grounds are set up with 'Game Shooters' in mind really.

Edited by Westley

On 01/07/2018 at 18:49, Westley said:

I have not managed to get there since April, but it was £22 (I think).

I have shot Grouse below the level of the Butt.  I do not think many grounds are set up with 'Game Shooters' in mind really.

Cheers.