cylinder verses skeet

gemini52

Just keep put in skeet in the bottom and cylinder in the top. Get some 9s and go shoot. 

When your getting regular 25s you can tighten the chokes a bit and go to 7.5s, then again when your getting regular straights try full chokes. Watched a chap years ago on the skeet who had a vest full of badges for comps, 100 straights for umpteen years, when asked where a certain year was, he turned round and said "its on the back"  he practiced with super full chokes and 7.5s. 

1 hour ago, kennett said:

http://www.avalon-guns.com/avalon/12-bore-beretta-chokes.html Avalon guns seems to disagree, how can a tube with no constriction (cylinder) be tighter than a tube with some degree of choke (skeet)?

Must admit it had me wondering too. I was thinking that unless a skeet choke protruded from the end of a cylinder barrel, like a trumpet, then it couldn’t possibly be more open than cylinder? 

1 hour ago, kennett said:

http://www.avalon-guns.com/avalon/12-bore-beretta-chokes.html Avalon guns seems to disagree, how can a tube with no constriction (cylinder) be tighter than a tube with some degree of choke (skeet)?

http://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/documents/constrictions-or-dimensions-on-my-beretta-choke-tubes/

have a read of this its the optima choke section

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Must admit it had me wondering too. I was thinking that unless a skeet choke protruded from the end of a cylinder barrel, like a trumpet, then it couldn’t possibly be more open than cylinder? 

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

thats exactly what it is

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That is the best way to assess the chokes, get out and pattern them!

Exactly some times the open chokes on some loads can throw decent patterns, i use a nikko 5000 skeet gun as a general knock about beater and it patterns good for a skeet gun it especially likes RC SIPE 5s for some reason every barrel is different you have to pattern if you want the whole story.

Guest cookoff013
8 hours ago, kennett said:

thats a optima thing, not a general choke, thats more of a branding fudge up than anything else. 
nb, also there is skeet, skeetII,  quarter, mod etc. there is even inverted choke, aka negative and difuser choke, just to be pedantic.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 01:29, cookoff013 said:

thats a optima thing, not a general choke, thats more of a branding fudge up than anything else. 
nb, also there is skeet, skeetII,  quarter, mod etc. there is even inverted choke, aka negative and difuser choke, just to be pedantic.

Yeah, marketing ...

Try getting an understanding on Winchester's Quail 1 and Quail 2 choke denominations !

• 1 month later...
On 22/2/2018 at 20:10, gemini52 said:

I have a beretta 682 with extended chokes,what i need to know is which is the tighter choke skeet or cylinder,my mate said the cylinder choke is the tighter but not sure myself.

Either will smoke all the targets on a skeet layout.

Spend less time worrying about chokes and more time shooting . The more you think the less you hit .  

Modern loads should be as consistent as possible and chokes are made to a standard size . Finding the right combination may take a little time but constant swapping of either will not help, 

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

Spend less time worrying about chokes and more time shooting . The more you think the less you hit .  

Modern loads should be as consistent as possible and chokes are made to a standard size . Finding the right combination may take a little time but constant swapping of either will not help, 

This.