Memory cards going AWOL

Doc Holliday

Does anyone else have trouble with memory cards? My dashcam has thrown up a message asking me to insert the SD card, not that it was ever taken out. Tried re-inserting it but it doesn't recognise it. I have had problems with memory cards going belly on me or even new ones playing up the moment they go in to a bit of kit that uses them. The thing is they're not cheap and now have a small handful of differing sizes that can't be used for whatever reason. Surely I can't be alone on this one? 

Only time I have had problems like that is when using ‘cheapo’ memory cards from eBay etc which although purport to be of a known manufacturer and size, have turned out to be fakes.

But would also do as suggested and try re formatting ( have you tried the cards in a pc to check they have in fact been recording)

what jaymo says. bought cheap of eBay and got sent fakes. after a quick look most 4gig are actually 256mb or less. even after a format it would still show a fake capacity. 

But on another note with a Garmin sat nav and a proper currys bought card, that occasionally throws a error. I just assume after being left in a damp cold car, and not used that often, that the contacts inside might need a clean 

10 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

I just assume after being left in a damp cold car, and not used that often, that the contacts inside might need a clean 

I think this is the likely explanation.  The temperature and humidity variations in a car between a cold winter night and a (should that be the?) hot sunny summer day makes it a really tough environment