Confused from Birmingham

1 hour ago, motty said:

I also found the Express pretty good.

Unfortunately, Alliant steel is not cost effective. I will try to find a recipe that will cost far less. I'm sure that someone on the forum can help.

Your 32 gm loads should have exactly that in them!

As steel is not as dense as lead (around 7.8gm per cc as opposed to lead's 11.3) you will get more pellets per ounce. You could cut down on cost a little by loading up an ounce of steel 4/5 and still produce a good killing cartridge.

How much were your Express cartridges?

We were paying £226 per thousand but under certain conditons we may be aable to get them at£200 per K

As stated in my original post the powder in them is light green squares not the black granular like  Allient Steel. I was told that you needed Alliant to get the speed that is required for steel.

Guest cookoff013

Pigeon,

What are you exactly wanting to reload. Your posts jump around with alliance steel, steel shells, and lead.

There are a lot of 12-70mm 32g lead subsonic data.

I'm baffled by this thread, the powder charges quoted are factory. Cook

31 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

We were paying £226 per thousand but under certain conditons we may be aable to get them at£200 per K

As stated in my original post the powder in them is light green squares not the black granular like  Allient Steel. I was told that you needed Alliant to get the speed that is required for steel.

Express used to load Steel cartridges with Vectan AO powder which is what I'd personally use as opposed to Alliant Steel Powder which I'd save for Wildfowling loads.

WHO

37 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

37 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Whoever told you that was incorrect.

As i said before, speed is required, but not too much.

On 25/02/2018 at 20:55, Kraai said:

just check the price list here in belgium 2017 the were 240€ per 1000

now in 2018 the are 350 € per 1000 

Zut alors...!:sick:

The Hunting & Fishing Hypermarket chain in France, (Terre et Eaux), are currently selling a very nice 28g steel load in No 7 shot for 184.40 Euros per 1000, (about £167.00 Sterling).

These are an excellent load for pigeons over decoys at sensible ranges, but obviously not long range wildfowl.

I will be buying a few when I'm next over there in a couple of weeks.:yes:

I've tried heavier steel loads in bigger shot sizes for pigeons, but they don't kill birds over decoys as well as the smaller sized pellets.

Cat.

6 minutes ago, Catamong said:

Zut alors...!

The Hunting & Fishing Hypermarket chain in France, (Terre et Eaux), are currently selling a very nice 28g steel load in No 7 shot for 184.40 Euros per 1000, (about £167.00 Sterling).

These are an excellent load for pigeons over decoys at sensible ranges, but obviously not long range wildfowl.

I will be buying a few when I'm next over there in a couple of weeks.

I've tried heavier steel loads in bigger shot sizes for pigeons, but they don't kill birds over decoys as well as the smaller sized pellets.

Cat.

Thanks mate.

Over decoys i shoot alot of rio blue steel 28gr nr 6 the cost around 186 euro per 1000

3 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Hi Motty, 

The express hunting steel that I'm trying to replicate is a 32gram steel and runs at 1375. Which I do not consider fast.

thanks for your input

Plenty quick enough. Should be relatively easy to replicate. As I mentioned before, with the increased number of pellets with steel, you could easily opt for 28 or 30 gm. Lighter loads are also easier to push quicker, should you feel so inclined.

Used to reload a few many years ago but would not know where to start with steel but had a quick look at reloading steel cartridges and I came across 'The Steel Shot Company' you may have already seen this but apparently they are a father and son business and founders of Gamebore, if you have not already seen it here’s a link, when there click the link to their store, bottom left…http://www.steel-shot.com/

6 hours ago, old'un said:

Used to reload a few many years ago but would not know where to start with steel but had a quick look at reloading steel cartridges and I came across 'The Steel Shot Company' you may have already seen this but apparently they are a father and son business and founders of Gamebore, if you have not already seen it here’s a link, when there click the link to their store, bottom left…http://www.steel-shot.com/

That is Clay & Game! Same company.