Best treatment for keeping leather boots in good order

das

You have two option depending upon what you want! 

Waterproof and protect

Waterproof and soften

It depends upon what you want to do with the boots, if for example you are wearing in a high abrasion environment such as walking in heather you won’t want to soften the leather as the boots won’t last as long. If it’s not a high abrasion environment and your doing allot of walking and want comfort then use something to soften them up. 

Waterproof and protect, sno-seal is best or shoe polish with high beeswax content. 

Waterproof and soften, dubbin such as Saphir Everest

I've used this stuff for years

http://www.drmartens.com/uk/p/shoecare-and-laces-shoecare-wonder-balsam

Available online / fleabay etc. for around £7 (ignore the stupid prices).

Brilliant conditioner & softener.

Used on many makes of leather boots. Haven't found a better one yet.

Edited by Eyefor

5 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

I used to use neatsfoot oil to soften boots from new out of the box, to help break them in quicker, i've heard that it can rot the stitching but I've never had it happen. 

I haven't needed to since I started wearing Altberg boots, they are comfortable straight out of the box. 

It never happened to me either; perhaps it depends on the leather or the formula in the oil has changed. 

Mate has Altberg boots; expensive but excellent boots. 

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

It never happened to me either; perhaps it depends on the leather or the formula in the oil has changed. 

Mate has Altberg boots; expensive but excellent boots. 

Yes, Altberg are expensive but they are so well made and designed. If you look after your boots they will last for years and with the factory resoling price starting at £50 over time they can be a good investment. I was so impressed with a pair of Altberg Defenders that I bought a second new pair just to put by. Never done that before.The current ex army but new boots are a real bargain. Altbergs own Leder-gris seems to be excellent for waterproofing.

Just now, islandgun said:

I got Meindl sport wax along with the boots seems to soften and protect. just had a look to see what the contents are and theres no mention, but was interested to see that it is made in England, anyone know what its made of ?

Beeswax and other stuff, all natural ingredients. Thats from memory, i asked myself the same question a few years ago