Best treatment for keeping leather boots in good order

das

On 24/02/2018 at 11:52, TriBsa said:

Yes, Altberg are expensive but they are so well made and designed. If you look after your boots they will last for years and with the factory resoling price starting at £50 over time they can be a good investment. I was so impressed with a pair of Altberg Defenders that I bought a second new pair just to put by. Never done that before.The current ex army but new boots are a real bargain. Altbergs own Leder-gris seems to be excellent for waterproofing.

+1 for altberg, I use them for work, had two pairs in 5 years, only bought a second pair to wear whilst first ones were getting re-soled.

Exclusivley use their leder-Gris on them to keep them supple/waterproof, no cracking or no wet feet apart from the odd time I go too deep and water goes over the top. Great stuff.

• 1 year later...
On 24/02/2018 at 05:38, JohnfromUK said:

I had the stitching rot and break up on a set of boots ........ and was told it was due to using neatsfoot oil.  Googling seems to confirm that (at least some) neatsfoot oils can do this.  Never used it since.  I now use Mars oil and have had no problems. 

Where oh where can you buy Mars oil? Various website gets blocked by my computer.  Thanks

I have walked many thousands of miles in usually Italian leather boots with Vibram soles. I ruined a pair with Dubbin . It softened the leather to the extent the boots were useless. You do not want to soften the leather, it's stiffness is there to protect your feet.

I ended up using Nik Wax and sparingly at that. I accepted that leather IS NOT waterproof A couple of days in wet conditions and the wet comes through.

On 24/02/2018 at 11:52, TriBsa said:

Yes, Altberg are expensive but they are so well made and designed. If you look after your boots they will last for years and with the factory resoling price starting at £50 over time they can be a good investment. I was so impressed with a pair of Altberg Defenders that I bought a second new pair just to put by. Never done that before.The current ex army but new boots are a real bargain. Altbergs own Leder-gris seems to be excellent for waterproofing.

As above, Leder-Gris.

Many years ago first job assistant keeper.We used Mars oil it came with a brush.We always wore wellingtons till dinner time.Then changed. To boots .You need to start with good quality boots.we got ours fromHogs of Fife.Used to trace our foot on a piece of paper and send it off.Hi tec.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2019 at 23:02, DoolinDalton said:

Can pure beeswax furniture polish be used with Vaseline? The beeswax is blended with turps (according to the blurb on the tin).   

Link how to make 

and link to bees wax where I got some from hope this helps 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiveMoor-Pure-Beeswax-blocks-natural/dp/B01AT6JPTG/ref=asc_df_B01AT6JPTG/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256229224953&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17170614079919639659&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006743&hvtargid=pla-448753996314&psc=1

1 hour ago, martyn2233 said:

You can get beeswax from Thornes Beekeeping based in Rand, just outside of Wragby, near Lincoln.

Edited by moondoggy

I have used Renapur, Dubbin, Sahpir Mink Oil and various other decent treatments for leather hunting boots, uniform boots and shoes, all are pretty good. However the best I have used by a long shot is Paul Sullivan 5 Star Leather Care! Superb stuff. I have been using it for the last 18months or so and it gives fantastic protection to my boots. I rub it in by hand and make sure the boots are left to dry before they are used, always give excellent water repellency. I wouldn't use it on good shoes as it can darken the leather slightly, but for work boots this stuff is brilliant. You can contact him on his Facebook page or purchase via Amazon. 

IMG_1237.jpg