Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
das

Best treatment for keeping leather boots in good order

Recommended Posts

On 24/02/2018 at 11:52, TriBsa said:

Yes, Altberg are expensive but they are so well made and designed. If you look after your boots they will last for years and with the factory resoling price starting at £50 over time they can be a good investment. I was so impressed with a pair of Altberg Defenders that I bought a second new pair just to put by. Never done that before.The current ex army but new boots are a real bargain. Altbergs own Leder-gris seems to be excellent for waterproofing.

 

+1 for altberg, I use them for work, had two pairs in 5 years, only bought a second pair to wear whilst first ones were getting re-soled.

Exclusivley use their leder-Gris on them to keep them supple/waterproof, no cracking or no wet feet apart from the odd time I go too deep and water goes over the top. Great stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/02/2018 at 05:38, JohnfromUK said:

I had the stitching rot and break up on a set of boots ........ and was told it was due to using neatsfoot oil.  Googling seems to confirm that (at least some) neatsfoot oils can do this.  Never used it since.  I now use Mars oil and have had no problems. 

Where oh where can you buy Mars oil? Various website gets blocked by my computer.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm that neatsfoot oil does rit stitching, not worth the risk on boots but it did bring a dry old belt back to life! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2018 at 19:59, Brad93 said:

Mink oil rubbed in by hand. You need the heat of your hand to melt the wax and massage it into the boot

+1 for mink oil I used it for many years on motocross boots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have walked many thousands of miles in usually Italian leather boots with Vibram soles. I ruined a pair with Dubbin . It softened the leather to the extent the boots were useless. You do not want to soften the leather, it's stiffness is there to protect your feet.

I ended up using Nik Wax and sparingly at that. I accepted that leather IS NOT waterproof A couple of days in wet conditions and the wet comes through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found Nik Wax very good, but now prefer Leder Gris every time. Been out in the Altbergs today, peeing down, feet bone dry. Boots must be fifteen years old now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, London Best said:

I found Nik Wax very good, but now prefer Leder Gris every time. Been out in the Altbergs today, peeing down, feet bone dry. Boots must be fifteen years old now.

I've used Leder Gris for many years on my boots and other leather items. It's excellent in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/10/2019 at 14:10, Rob525 said:

I can confirm that neatsfoot oil does rit stitching, not worth the risk on boots but it did bring a dry old belt back to life! 

Been using it on my boots for years. Never had a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Been using it on my boots for years. Never had a problem. 

Me neither. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/02/2018 at 11:52, TriBsa said:

Yes, Altberg are expensive but they are so well made and designed. If you look after your boots they will last for years and with the factory resoling price starting at £50 over time they can be a good investment. I was so impressed with a pair of Altberg Defenders that I bought a second new pair just to put by. Never done that before.The current ex army but new boots are a real bargain. Altbergs own Leder-gris seems to be excellent for waterproofing.

 

As above, Leder-Gris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago first job assistant keeper.We used Mars oil it came with a brush.We always wore wellingtons till dinner time.Then changed. To boots .You need to start with good quality boots.we got ours fromHogs of Fife.Used to trace our foot on a piece of paper and send it off.Hi tec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/10/2019 at 08:49, demonwolf444 said:

1 Part beeswax to 4 parts parrafin wax ( vaseline )

Before.

After

 

Water proof? yep.

 

Been doing it for years

Any chance you can post links to the ingredients please?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve used ledger-Gris wax with success ,both on altberg and haix boots , won’t polish up to a shine but not made to do that , keeps them waterproof and supple 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can pure beeswax furniture polish be used with Vaseline? The beeswax is blended with turps (according to the blurb on the tin).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2019 at 23:02, DoolinDalton said:

Can pure beeswax furniture polish be used with Vaseline? The beeswax is blended with turps (according to the blurb on the tin).   

Link how to make 

 

 

and link to bees wax where I got some from hope this helps 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiveMoor-Pure-Beeswax-blocks-natural/dp/B01AT6JPTG/ref=asc_df_B01AT6JPTG/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256229224953&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17170614079919639659&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006743&hvtargid=pla-448753996314&psc=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, martyn2233 said:

You can get beeswax from Thornes Beekeeping based in Rand, just outside of Wragby, near Lincoln.

Edited by moondoggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...