Stupid reloading question

Wb123

I have a ten gauge arriving for next season, so I need to learn about reloading. I have a text book I have read only once and lee loader in twelve gauge, but have never yet needed a load I couldnt buy for less.

I dont anticipate going through enough cartridges a year to merit a ten gauge press whilst living over here, and understand a capper/decapper, roll turn over, and balance should be all I need for small scale production. I am struggling however to find a ten gauge capper/decapper, would a twelve gauge one be close enough, if so can I use the appropriate lee loadall station or would I need a standalone device?

Also, does anyone know a good source for reloading supplies in Northern Ireland?

Resizing 10 bore fired cases may be neccesary! So you may need a resizer? Hand tools such as A RTO will do for low volume loading, I think maybe a lee Loadall would deprime.......but I dunno if it would reprime? A powder scale is a must! If it's an auto? You may need a gaep finisher to put a taper on the finished shell so it feeds into the chamber without issue?

I don't know about availability in NI.....sorry!

7 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Resizing 10 bore fired cases may be neccesary! So you may need a resizer? Hand tools such as A RTO will do for low volume loading, I think maybe a lee Loadall would deprime.......but I dunno if it would reprime? A powder scale is a must! If it's an auto? You may need a gaep finisher to put a taper on the finished shell so it feeds into the chamber without issue?

I don't know about availability in NI.....sorry!

Many thanks.

I was anticipating that I would likely need to buy unprimed new cases from clay and game, which I thought if then reused in the same gun would avoid the need for resizing, tapering I had not thought about. 

11 hours ago, Wb123 said:

Many thanks.

I was anticipating that I would likely need to buy unprimed new cases from clay and game, which I thought if then reused in the same gun would avoid the need for resizing, tapering I had not thought about. 

New cases fired then reused in the same gun would solve the resizing issue....but if you want to use once fired cases, you will likely need to resize them!.......a way round it may be to try each once fired case in the chamber of the gun, to ensure it fits before reloading it?

Few points that may help.

I have checked and my old Lee loadable will prime but will not deprime. I used to use basic hand tools but now  use  mec steelmaster. This is what I used to do

If you drill a suitable hole in a block of hard wood you can stand the cartridge on that and tap the caps out with a steel rod of suitable diameter. To prime I used a large dowel in the case, upside down and tap the cap in with a punch or dowel that bears on the outer edge of the cap at least. I have done this for years and not set a cap off but wear safety glasses just in case.

You have not mentioned what type of ten bore. If you are using a sxs or ou roll turnover should be fine and you can just get a roll turnover head for the drill, or a hand tool.  Semi autos can be more temperememtal. My browning gold will not recycle rto cases even when shortened. That is why I bought the mec even though I have to weigh powder and shot. For this claygame sell very reasonably priced digital scales.

Resizing is always a problem which again the mec does for you. You cannot guarantee both chambers are identical although they should be close. I used to use a resizing die to be on the safe side. You can squeeze the case through with a large g cramp held in the bench vice. I have to do this with my 8 bore cases.

Hope this helps and pm me if you have any queries but I cannot help on NI supplies.

Good luck

9 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Few points that may help.

I have checked and my old Lee loadable will prime but will not deprime. I used to use basic hand tools but now  use  mec steelmaster. This is what I used to do

If you drill a suitable hole in a block of hard wood you can stand the cartridge on that and tap the caps out with a steel rod of suitable diameter. To prime I used a large dowel in the case, upside down and tap the cap in with a punch or dowel that bears on the outer edge of the cap at least. I have done this for years and not set a cap off but wear safety glasses just in case.

You have not mentioned what type of ten bore. If you are using a sxs or ou roll turnover should be fine and you can just get a roll turnover head for the drill, or a hand tool.  Semi autos can be more temperememtal. My browning gold will not recycle rto cases even when shortened. That is why I bought the mec even though I have to weigh powder and shot. For this claygame sell very reasonably priced digital scales.

Resizing is always a problem which again the mec does for you. You cannot guarantee both chambers are identical although they should be close. I used to use a resizing die to be on the safe side. You can squeeze the case through with a large g cramp held in the bench vice. I have to do this with my 8 bore cases.

Hope this helps and pm me if you have any queries but I cannot help on NI supplies.

Good luck

Hello, many thanks for your help, its a bps pump action. I have one in 12 bore which seems very unfussy about cartridges. 

you could do a lot worse than google the utube vids... "shotshell reloading without a press" parts one and two (nail and dowel and using a Lee loader)  I bought the Lee loader on American Ebay and an Alan Myers BP hand crank RTO. its easier to get new Cheddite cases which wont need resizing, recipes are a bit harder to find. i will be having a clear out of 10g loading gear as i have a new 12g . pm if you need anything ! 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

you could do a lot worse than google the utube vids... "shotshell reloading without a press" parts one and two (nail and dowel and using a Lee loader)  I bought the Lee loader on American Ebay and an Alan Myers BP hand crank RTO. its easier to get new Cheddite cases which wont need resizing, recipes are a bit harder to find. i will be having a clear out of 10g loading gear as i have a new 12g . pm if you need anything ! 

I agree! A piece of five inch round nail, fitted into a length of dowel of the correct diameter, is perfect for making a de primer! Again a length of the correct diameter dowel rounded on the end to match the shells basewad with a shallow 1/4" hole in the centre, makes a functional priming punch too!