INSTRUCTORS PLEASE ADVISE

KB1

Over in the General Shooting Matters section theres a topic discussing safety catch use…… anyway due to something I posted its drifted off topic into which type of gun is the clay Instructors preferred choice:hmm:  I was surprised to see that one Instructor preferred an S/A over a break action, as over the years I've mainly (if not only) witnessed Instructors and trainees with break action guns.

I would be grateful if some of the Instructors on PW could advise what they use and why; and what others have mainly seen whilst out and about at the shooting grounds, just so I can get to see a more balanced view than 2 or 3 posts:)

When coaching I am obliged to coach the shooter with their chosen gun. I have in the past used pump guns (Rem 870), Semi-Auto's (Rem 1100), O/U's and SxS's. 

With Novices it is usually either their partners gun or Dad's gun if it fits. 

Alternatively I take a selection from my cabinet and see which fits.

Last Saturday a Lady asked me to get her 13 year old Daughter hitting a few clays, luckily she had brought a 28 bore O/U along.

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Last Saturday a Lady asked me to get her 13 year old Daughter hitting a few clays, luckily she had brought a 28 bore O/U along.

Best moment of the day :-)

@KB1, I have shot an awful lot of Shotgun & Chelsea Bun Club events where gun is provided. I have only twice seen a semi-automatic being used. Once was my first event at Green acres, with Sam Grice. It was a 20G Raptor if I remember correctly. There was one other smaller ground who had a semi auto. Everywhere else has had O/Us if they are club guns, and the best grounds have 28G for the smallest people. I have seen the child of a coach using a 20G semi auto. I would suggest that people choose an O/U partly because of the associations with it. Of course there are other benefits. 

As I am the Instructor in question, perhaps I should clarify my use of a semi auto.  At some grounds where I have worked, I have had maybe some 30 people in total during the day to instruct. These have been all Male, all Female AND mixed sexed groups. As it has been the sole intention of the ground to 'get as many through as possible', perhaps the term 'Instructor' leaves a bit to be desired !  On one corporate event alone, my gun had over 1000 rounds through it in a day.  If it was solely a one to one lesson, then if the client did not have their own gun, I would use an O/U of suitable calibre and fit. As a 'one gun fits all' the auto is a more forgiving tool, especially if it is too long or too short for the shooter. You do NOT have the time to be able to use comb raisers etc. to obtain the best fit.  The client would , at best, only be firing 5 shots and off, then the next one, and so on.  It must be remembered that stag and hen groups are often still hung over, or worse. They just want to hit a few clays, collect their plastic trophy and get back to the pub, the semi auto, under these conditions, I find the best tool for the job ! 

I would add that I often see  young ladies with a group of lads and she is being persuaded to 'have a go'. Usually this involves a VERY ill fitting 12 bore and a lot of hilarity when the poor girl is knocked backwards by the recoil, only to never want to go near a gun again. I cringe !

Edited by Westley