A tale of two flight lines.

JDog

On Thursday Mighty Mariner and I met up for a spot of pigeon shooting. There have been lots about and we needed another catch up.

It would be fair to say that I know every one of the several hundred or so pigeons using a cover crop by name as I have watched them for weeks. I cautioned MM about their fickle behaviour but he was keen to set up and try to decoy some. This wasn't a success but when he joined me in the wood I show below we had pigeon shooting at it's very best. It was like roost shooting during the day as birds drifted across the tree tops presenting themselves at anything from 30m to 50m high. We did well to pick 17.

thumbnail_20180222_113614_trees.jpg

Yesterday in a spare hour I went in the opposite direction to another wood and another flock behaving in a similar way. In a stronger wind these were slightly easier and I managed to shoot ten in the time I had available.

None of the 27 pigeons I examined had the slightest molecule of food inside their crops even at this stage in the afternoon. I can only guess that they had fed early and had digested that meal before heading out again for a late afternoon feed. 

Sounds like a spectacular time was had jd, I wonder how long does it take a pigeon to put a crop over? for sure some things will be broken down quicker than others. Greens would be broken down quicker than say corn which is a longer burning carbohydrate than opposed to the more fibre filled greens. Would this lean towards the activity of pigeons feeding more often on greens,i have been told they sometimes do, eg feeding three times daily greens, twice daily corn, acorns?

I would think that when greens in season over winter, more calories needed to maintain the bird. Has anyone had any experience of birds feeding three times daily in winter on a say a wheat crop that has been left?

Anyroads all good post above and look forward for more.

atb

7diaw