Reloading for Shotgun

I'm considering reloading for 12 bore, I've been reloading centrefire for 25 years but haven't ever considered reloading for shotguns until now. I know there are a few experts here so some questions if I may.

1. I've read making 28g loads doesn't save you much really, the saving comes with making game loads, that's what I would be intending making. Is that right?

2. Can you realistically make good quality cartridges using quality shot and still save? I wouldn't be interested in making something that just goes bang using poor quality shot that patterns badly!

3. I have a shooting ground nearby that uses Hull Comp X 70mm almost exclusively so I was thinking that might be a source for cases. Are they acceptable for making a 30g game load? 

4. I've watched some videos online but a lot of the crimps I've seen are pretty rubbish looking - can you produce a factory quality crimp at home? I'm not sure I could live with cartridges with terrible inconsistent crimps - besides I'm sure they affect shot to shot consistency?

5. Making RTO's looks tidier do they perform as well? 

Thanks for any input!!

1. I only load heavy wildfowling loads or blackpowder and would not bother with game loads as it does not seem worth the effort. Others who know more abot cost may disagree.

2. Can't say

3. Do not see why not subject to 5. Below

4.You can get a good crimp but really need a good quality press and to taper the closure and cost of kit may make it uncommercial.

5 rto definitely performs as well in my experience but not unless you start with a new case. Never works brilliantly for me with once fired crimped cases.

I am sure you will get plenty of sound advice on this.

4 hours ago, farmer7 said:

1. The bigger the payload the higher the saving, some would say. I don't care, I reload for passion and science so, can't really advise.

2. Yes, the point though is that each load will pattern differently in different guns. Get a safe load and pattern it on your gun, if you don't like the pattern either change load or try to adjust the one you have. There are many things you can change -safely- to modify the pattern to suit your gun and shooting conditions

3. They should be fine so long as you can fit a Fiocchi or Cheddite primer. If they are Maxam hills, then you should only really fit Rio primers

4. The crimp is key to each shell. It doesn't matter if it looks good or bad, so long as it suits the load. Folded crimp is normally 61.5 mm, rolled crimp (most factories) are between 57.8 & 60 mm. Why? For each mm deeper than 60 mm, the same load will gain 100 bar (1450 psi). So, the height is very important for the patter and most likely depends on the powder and payload combo. For instance a very slow burning powder with a very light payload will most likely require a deeper crimp than a fast burning powder/light payload combo. If the powder is suitable for your load, a 60 mm rolled crimp should be fine.

5. They do perform well. You need to adjust your load (if it allows for 6 points crimp) as the weakness of the RTO will most likely require additional powder to mimic the pressure and speed of the recipe. Also, RTO tend to pattern wider especially if combined with fiber wads

There will most likely be others who'll tell you to just chuck stuff and it'll go bang or kill anyway...but that's just not my style

Reload safely

Cheers

1. Not sure you will make any saving with 28g load. I load steel and heavy lead loads in 2.750" and 3.00" cases and make savings. Other thing for me is I have the loads I want, living in the North of Scotland supply of factory ammo is sometimes an issue. 

2. Yes, with practice and correct set up of press.

3. Don't know, I use mainly Fiocchi cases.

4. See previous replies, crimps will effect performance.

5. Don't know, only do crimps.

Good luck, loading your own and pattern testing is interesting if you have time to do it plus its a good feeling when you have success in the field.

1 hour ago, MAB1954 said:

1. Not sure you will make any saving with 28g load. I load steel and heavy lead loads in 2.750" and 3.00" cases and make savings. Other thing for me is I have the loads I want, living in the North of Scotland supply of factory ammo is sometimes an issue. 

Same here ... not much suppl in Scotland....so, reloadingis difficult but getting your cartridges (especially for me with the 20 bore) is even worse

I just noticed C&G have a supplier down Newcastle way who also do delivery...i've asked if they plan to get in contact with someone up here but not received a response so far.

I'm about to order some components from the chaps in necastles so, if someone is needing some we can add to the order and share the delivery costs

cheers,

Thanks for the advice chaps, I was just looking to make some 30g 6's for pigeons etc. Sounds like it's not really worth my while unless I invest heavily in the most expensive gear, other than for the joy of making my own. I'm using 30g Eley Pigeon Select for £220 per thousand just now so I'm probably as well to stick with them. If I got into fowling I'd definitely give it a go though.

I got into it last year, I’ve loaded all sorts and settled on a few loads that work for me. I didn’t get into it to save money, it’s just another part of my hobby. It’s quite therapeutic on a night time, and it spreads the cost for me. I’ve got a supplier that’s 10 miles away so I’m quite lucky. My 24gram clay loads are pretty good too, fast and pattern well, and I’m making them for £174/1000. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2018 at 11:04, Continental Shooter said:

Same here ... not much suppl in Scotland....so, reloadingis difficult but getting your cartridges (especially for me with the 20 bore) is even worse

I just noticed C&G have a supplier down Newcastle way who also do delivery...i've asked if they plan to get in contact with someone up here but not received a response so far.

I'm about to order some components from the chaps in necastles so, if someone is needing some we can add to the order and share the delivery costs

cheers,

I'm down there about twice a week at present so can collect components if it'll help.
Got a few contacts for some supplies too...

Guest cookoff013
On 2/25/2018 at 11:27, farmer7 said:

Thanks for the advice chaps, I was just looking to make some 30g 6's for pigeons etc. Sounds like it's not really worth my while unless I invest heavily in the most expensive gear, other than for the joy of making my own. I'm using 30g Eley Pigeon Select for £220 per thousand just now so I'm probably as well to stick with them. If I got into fowling I'd definitely give it a go though.

did you know, you could actually reload and use factory at the same time ?
you can buy a lee reloading machine for "not much money"

as a hobby, i am never ever married to the reloader. ever.

if you want to waste say 100-150 on a set up and components for the first say 250 shells, its well within the realms of achieveable. just dont be pressurised into buying whatever is around. the only universal component that can be bought off of a whym would be lead shot.