Red hot curry advice

washerboy

Buy a jar of curry sauce, rogan  josh works well,  add some fresh  chillies to taste, go easy on the chilli powder if you don't want a good clean out! 

I brown my chicken and add some garlic to roast, then stick the sauce and chilli in. 

Doing it this way takes the hard work out of it. 

On 2/24/2018 at 23:51, washerboy said:

I’m not sure it’s the chilli that gives you the problem, I eat them a lot and I think it’s how they are cooked. I eat a very hot one one from my local restaurant and never any bother but I have had a milder vindaloo that gave my stomach the run around the following day. 

Red chilli powder.
Its like drain cleaner, just use fresh chillies for heat, my favourites are the small fat ones, the Asians call them bullet chillies, a pale green in colour.
They are not massively hot, so you can control the heat levels, say 2 for a decent 2 portion Jalfrezi style, up to 6 and beyond for a vindaloo ect .
Cook for as long as possible to get the best flavours.
Look at recipes for garlic chilli chicken, thats my favourite.

Some restaurants get lazy/sadistic and chuck loads of red chilli powder in, I was with the ex (Asian ) wife when we ordered a Ceylon, the waiter told us not to have it, as it would not be pleasant !
We told him we were well used to hot dishes, and had it anyway.
He was giving good advice :lol:

We have spent the last couple of months experimenting making our own Curries as shop bought never taste like the ones you get at an Indian Restaurant. Buying the spices from the good old bay has cost less than £30 and made about 8 really superb meals so far and not used even half the spices yet. We have found a couple of hints that really make a difference - always grate your onions and squeeze as much water out of them as possible before cooking - lightly fry your spices before adding meat - cook tinned tomatoes for at least 10 mins  - never add cold water to thin a sauce as it toughens the meat - Add Garlic/Ginger paste to every Curry. If you buy dry spices look for the "Natco" brand as they are very good - the Red Chilli Powder is strong enough to warm your Soul with 1/2 a Teaspoon - another 1/2 and it becomes painful.

Edited by bruno22rf

As above I've spent months perfecting the British Indian Resturant style currys, I now cook them the same as they do in the resturants by using a pre made curry gravy, pre cooked meats etc, I can make any of the well known currys to better than take away standard in 15mins or so... I'll never eat a take away curry again as mine are better!

Shop bought stuff is pure tripe!

Curry Guy Dan was my main source of how to do it, I bought his book which is very good but most is on his site too.... take a look!

http://www.greatcurryrecipes.net/

Absolutely no doubt a home made curry from scratch, tastes better if you leave the sauce a good 24 hours.
Seems to bring the flavours out.
When I first tried to make garlic chilli chicken, I could never get the roast garlic flavour right, until I left some in the fridge for a few days and reheated it.

My idea of using the jar is just a speedy way of doing it without the hours of prep.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

My idea of using the jar is just a speedy way of doing it without the hours of prep.

I make a big batch of base gravy (as they do in a resturant) wack it into portion size containers then freeze it, once thats done it literally takes minutes to defrost and add the other ingredients to make whatever you like, the longest part is the defrosting!

Thats how they serve so quickly in resturants, everything starts with that base gravy.

44 minutes ago, thepasty said:

I make a big batch of base gravy (as they do in a resturant) wack it into portion size containers then freeze it, once thats done it literally takes minutes to defrost and add the other ingredients to make whatever you like, the longest part is the defrosting!

Thats how they serve so quickly in resturants, everything starts with that base gravy.

As above. Fried onions mixed in with cumin, coriander, garlic, ginger and turmeric and a couple of tins of tomatoes. That's yer base.

I too make my own curries mixing all the spices myself and make what I think beats any takeaway or restaurant offering.

My advice for making a hot curry is fresh chillies. I grew some Carolina Reaper this year and just one of them in it is insanely hot. Not hot in a bad way either but you do need rice with it.

You need to experiment a bit, just get a few spices and try adding a bit here and there. Just remember that you can always add a bit more but you can't take it out and keep tasting as you go.

7 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

I too make my own curries mixing all the spices myself and make what I think beats any takeaway or restaurant offering.

My advice for making a hot curry is fresh chillies. I grew some Carolina Reaper this year and just one of them in it is insanely hot. Not hot in a bad way either but you do need rice with it.

You need to experiment a bit, just get a few spices and try adding a bit here and there. Just remember that you can always add a bit more but you can't take it out and keep tasting as you go.

You can use Nagas, Reapers and Scorpions in standard curries but you need lots of volume and go slow with the additions - A small slice at a time. You want the heat to be there married in with the flavour, not to completely obscure it. If you screw up and go too hot, serve with a cucumber and onion yoghurt raita to ease it along.

15 hours ago, Fatcatsplat said:

As above. Fried onions mixed in with cumin, coriander, garlic, ginger and turmeric and a couple of tins of tomatoes. That's yer base.

mines a bit more complex with these aswell red/green peppers, cabbage, carrot, fenugreek, paprika and garamasala, water and cook for a few hours or do as I do and cook it in a pressure cooker for 30mins.

I only use fresh veg, makes a difference!

Edited by thepasty

Monday night is Curry night for us as it lets us use any Veg left over from the Sunday Roast (anything but Brussels) - we just chop it all down a bit and fry it with 2 cardamom pods+1tsp Turmeric+1tsp Cumin+1/2 tsp Coriander, Red Chilli Powder, Garlic & Ginger Paste along with 1/2 stick of Cinnamon. Superb and adds a certain piquance to the rooms ambiance a couple of hours later:sick: