Nissan Teranno 11 Startup Problem.

Norrie

Hiya, I recently bought a 1997 Nissan 2.7TD to use as my shoot car, it had been starting well, then the cold snap came and the battery died...yesterday went to start it after about 8 weeks of it lying unused.., nothing at all, battery completely gone, so decided to try and jump start it from the Vitara ...all I got was a puff of smoke from below the battery area, and nothing , no dash lights etc...engine cranks fine, but wont start... I brought the original battery home to charge it up, been on all night, and not taking a charge...tho, have others that will fit the car.....any thoughts on the problem...I have another 2000 Teranno as a source for spares if needed...

Thanks in advance guys..:)

terrano%20car_zpsxwpazjvm.jpg

22 hours ago, johnnytheboy said:

Did it run ok before the flat battery? 

Hiya, yep, all was fine....it was being started up every few days and run for a few mins to get it warm...not by me tho, but by the previous owner...:)

20 hours ago, HAYBURN said:

Not much to go on, first a good battery and check the earth straps/ cables from battery to chassis not burnt corroded etc..

Got a tractor battery in it now....turns over like a good 'un, but no lights on the dash, and no firing up of the engine...:(

20 hours ago, HAYBURN said:

Not much to go on, first a good battery and check the earth straps/ cables from battery to chassis not burnt corroded etc..

8 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

I’d put a split new battery in it, but also a solar charger panel available from Halfords, the biggest one you could afford, my g wagen used to go flat over the course of 8 weeks, not with the solar panel though kept it topped up

Got a very good battery now, but still not starting...my Suzy could be left for weeks without any problems at all, even in that real cold snap we had a couple of months ago, it started fine...

Am heading up this weekend ( If the Beast from the East doesnt get us all )  to check the earth strap, regulators and fuses...got another Nissan for spares....

separate lead from live on battery supplies cockpit etc if this is burnt out it will not start trace back to where you have seen smoke and find what burnt out could be heater plug relay as well   put a test light on heater plugs see if they are getting power when ignition turned on    no power will not start 

13 hours ago, Tam said:

Must be a fuse fried somewhere - probably one of the big ones in engine bay :hmm:

The smoke did come from under the battery tray...:)

13 hours ago, johnnytheboy said:

Fuel pump? Is it getting fuel? 

Yep, am sure it is...:)

11 hours ago, Cyrus1988 said:

Immobiliser problem if it has one? 

No immobiliser fitted...:)

10 hours ago, Saltings said:

separate lead from live on battery supplies cockpit etc if this is burnt out it will not start trace back to where you have seen smoke and find what burnt out could be heater plug relay as well   put a test light on heater plugs see if they are getting power when ignition turned on    no power will not start 

Will def try that one...I've been send home cos of the weather., and was going to nip up to the farm, but according to the farmer, roads are too dodgy for my wee Mondeo...:)

Thanks all for the input, its very much appreciated...:0

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 10:10, Tam said:

Where is it sitting Norrie

Up at the farm in Slamannan Tam...literally just been told tonight, its a battery "inline" fuse that's gone, seemingly they are sacrificial and meant to go...:) So, will nip up over the weekend and check it...here's hoping mate...:)