Weather forcast

ditchman

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Mabery 3 said:

Just been told the post office in Stockton on tees, has sent every one home because the roads are to bad for deliveries !!!!!!!

Lucky ****. I've just spent 7 hours covering 33 miles and doing about 40 drops. Returned to depot about 15:00 because the side roads I was trying to get around were just lethal to drive on. Have seen a couple of cars sliding down roads and one doing a 180 when he tried to turn in a bit too sharpley.

We haven't even had it that bad in Sheffield, compared to many other areas.

Definitely poor conditions for driving but as long as you keep your speed down and maintain a reasonable distance from other cars then it's safe enough on the main roads.

5 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

Gentlemen let me issue this warning in advance...

in the summer it might be a bit warm. 

Its February when are we to expect cold/bad weather just so I can be prepared. Unfortunately the majority are that dull they need these warnings. 

Indeed, driving to the conditions is paramount, unfortunately many people will blame evreything but their poor driving.

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I shall of course be taking that up with the school just as soon as they feel it is safe to open it again.

Strange how people manage to get to work, but the Schools seem to close as soon as snow is visible on the ground!

What will you be taking up with the school? The fact they made a sensible decision to close the school because they can't ensure the safety of the pupils (your children). 

We closed today as the snow started to come down; turned out to be the right decision as by the time we'd ensured all our pupils were taken care of, I only just managed to get back for my own children. 

It only takes a few staff to be unable to get in to make the safe running of a school very difficult. It is just rather boring (and predictable) hearing the teacher bashing each time it snows. 

43 minutes ago, treetree said:

What will you be taking up with the school? The fact they made a sensible decision to close the school because they can't ensure the safety of the pupils (your children). 

We closed today as the snow started to come down; turned out to be the right decision as by the time we'd ensured all our pupils were taken care of, I only just managed to get back for my own children. 

It only takes a few staff to be unable to get in to make the safe running of a school very difficult. It is just rather boring (and predictable) hearing the teacher bashing each time it snows. 

It is just too easy to close the schools, then either Mum or Dad have to take time off work to look after them.

I will point out that when I was at school it didn't happen, but back then people had better core values!

Oh and Treetree, if you read TriBsa's post it was all about GLOBAL WARMING and the irony!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Closing School :lol:

I used to walk to school, made no difference how deep the snow was, same as going to work, if cars couldnt get i walked.

And whats this thing about leaving work early because its snowing ??? do folk leave home early because its snowing ??? of course not they would rather be late for work 

No commitment from folk nowadays, and why on earth is it unsafe to go to school in the snow, its SNOW not bloomin death rays falling from MARS. We cant just give up doing anything just because it snows. 

I remember as an infant if the weather was bad and not all the teachers could not get in we used to all congregate in the school hall, (and probably with our coats on sitting on the floor cross legged) and sing hymns and a little school work too if we were unlucky enough.  

And that was when it snowed by the inches and not like now measured in mm. 

Edited by Dougy

16 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Closing School :lol:

I used to walk to school, made no difference how deep the snow was, same as going to work, if cars couldnt get i walked.

And whats this thing about leaving work early because its snowing ??? do folk leave home early because its snowing ??? of course not they would rather be late for work 

No commitment from folk nowadays, and why on earth is it unsafe to go to school in the snow, its SNOW not bloomin death rays falling from MARS. We cant just give up doing anything just because it snows. 

I remember as an infant if the weather was bad and not all the teachers could not get in we used to all congregate in the school hall, (and probably with our coats on sitting on the floor cross legged) and sing hymns and a little school work too if we were unlucky enough.  

And that was when it snowed by the inches and not like now measured in mm. 

Alf and safety mate and the no win no fee claim culture.

When I was a kid people came out and cleared the snow from the footpath, today if you did that and someone slips on the public footpath you have cleared, you are liable for creating those conditions.

My school was closed by a burst pipe in 1962/3, though In can't remember for how long.

We don't get much snow here, but we did get a lot one year in the 1980s (81?).  I arranged to walk a mile and a half to a colleagues - and three of us met at his house, went in one car, armed with shovels and got to work and back.  I have never missed a days work in my working life due to weather as far as I can remember, but I have always done an indoor job.

It was a matter of PRIDE to get to work in snow, floods (we do get those!), and other bad conditions.  Back in the 80's my then employer paid a full day to anyone who turned up (however late) and docked a days pay/holiday to anyone who didn't.

Edited by JohnfromUK

We have drifts of over three feet deep on some of our single track roads, ( Eden Valley in Cumbria ) and tractors and Manitous are being used to pull the milk bulkers up the steepest roads as cows need milking whatever the weather.  We don't get snow ploughs or gritters on our roads nor even in some of the towns as all resources are spent on keeping the main routes open, but even some of those have been closed with the police closing the barriers which prevent traffic from using the A66 from Brough to Scotch Corner. 

All the schools are closed as there are no buses running and parents are reluctant to take to the roads. Many shops, cafes etc in nearest big town (Penrith) are closed. There is still more snow to come apparently. The trains are still running, but I think they may give up on the Carlisle to Settle line if these high winds persist. 

I remember the winters of 62-63 and walking two miles to school.

I Also remember the severe weather in December 1981 and January 1982.

December 1981 was the coldest for 100 years with a lot of snow. The snowfall continued into 1982, with snowstorms bringing chaos to the UK, areas such as the Cotswolds, Wales, and Herefordshire saw record depths of snow and drifts of 23ft.

The winter of 1981/82 was also a bad year for wildlife, I remember a field of sprouts that was getting some stick from pigeons, there was about 2 inches of sprouts showing above the snow, the pigeons were in such a sad state I could not bring myself to shoot them, their legs and feathers were covered in snow balls, they were so weak they were unable to fly, pigeons were just dying of starvation, it was a very sorry sight, hope I never see that again.

Coldest day today for several years , don't know what it is now but when I took the dog out at 4pm it was minus 5 in the motor with more snow showers .

How on earth do pigeons , and other birds come to that , manage to survive all night sitting up a bare tree all night when it is as cold as it is now ?

There have been more birds in this village today than I have seen. Fieldfares, Redwings, Blackbirds, Sparrows, Collared Doves and Wood pigeons have shown themselves in abundance.

I put out extra bird seed at lunchtime and ten minutes later it was covered in snow.

Just now, JDog said:

There have been more birds in this village today than I have seen.

Woodpeckers suffer in hard weather.  We have a lot about (green and spotted), but I don't know how I can help them.  They rarely visit the feeder, but VERY occasionally will go on the peanut feeder.

38 minutes ago, Scully said:

We have drifts of over three feet deep on some of our single track roads, ( Eden Valley in Cumbria ) and tractors and Manitous are being used to pull the milk bulkers up the steepest roads as cows need milking whatever the weather.  We don't get snow ploughs or gritters on our roads nor even in some of the towns as all resources are spent on keeping the main routes open, but even some of those have been closed with the police closing the barriers which prevent traffic from using the A66 from Brough to Scotch Corner. 

All the schools are closed as there are no buses running and parents are reluctant to take to the roads. Many shops, cafes etc in nearest big town (Penrith) are closed. There is still more snow to come apparently. The trains are still running, but I think they may give up on the Carlisle to Settle line if these high winds persist. 

£ feet should be good for some sledging :good:

I thought i saw on the news that the local farmers were sub contracted to clear the minor roads?

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Woodpeckers suffer in hard weather.  We have a lot about (green and spotted), but I don't know how I can help them.  They rarely visit the feeder, but VERY occasionally will go on the peanut feeder.

I have got a general mix in mine and they are on it, but chucking lots out so not sure what they are after. Maybe the peanuts?

6 minutes ago, oowee said:

£ feet should be good for some sledging :good:

I thought i saw on the news that the local farmers were sub contracted to clear the minor roads?

You may be right regarding the farmers and clearing minor roads, but there is no grit and I haven't seen anyone doing so. There are still lanes which are impassable to traffic and the only time I've seen tractors in the village is when they've been pulling a bulker. Quad bike was busy towing sledgers on the village green again though. :yes:

Farmers may, in some cases, be contracted to clear local roads. But in my own county council basically just forgets about rural roads. Grit? Wozat? Too busy spending money on diversity workshops and climate change conferences.

Around here, if we want out, we have to clear the roads ourselves. Currently we have about 18 inches on the level, with drifts of three or four feet. A lot more coming and the wind is due to increase. But no point getting the tractor out on the road until it stops snowing heavily - which should, be about Friday (or Saturday) according to the Met Office. It just blows  back in again.

Meanwhile, a friend tells me his London office took the day off. According to him: "Just about the only snowflakes in London were the ones who were supposed to be working in my office..."

6 hours ago, Dekers said:

Look, I'm all for a bit of care and consideration but what is wrong with the country?

There are a few inches of snow here and there, it is the lead story on the news and the country seems to be in lockdown; what is wrong with people, whatever happened to personal responsibility/accountability?

***, it's like we have never seen it before, shops have run out of food, schools are shut, the railways have given up and we are told not to travel unless its essential.

Get over it, get used to it, deal with it!

AGREE   Just like this soft nut country, no idea and panic. I remember the 1962/63 Winter, believe me, you aint seen nothing.
:no::no::no: