Weather forcast

ditchman

1 hour ago, Swinton said:

Does any one on the forum use the m20 in Kent .if so do they now what the conditions are like 

I don't think it matters what the conditions are like, according to some members you should be prepared to drive in it whatever, just like they did back in 1981 (or was in 83, or 78 even) 

Apparently not to do so shows a lack of commitment / pride / core values. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, treetree said:

I don't think it matters what the conditions are like, according to some members you should be prepared to drive in it whatever, just like they did back in 1981 (or was in 83, or 78 even) 

Had the day off did you? :lol::lol:

8 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Modern high performance car tyres do not work in the snow at all. Car tyres from years ago were much more able to gain traction which is why an inch of snow can bring traffic to a standstill these days.

That may be correct but general purpose tyres which most people have fitted perform better overall in all conditions compared to years back.

Which opens another can of worms, all of us 4x4 drivers make it through the grief and get to work, rescue all the rear wheel drive boys cars and do the shopping for the locals as we are the only ones who can, don't see many complaining about 4x4 now! :):good:

17 minutes ago, treetree said:

Spare a thought for those in the Health Service, Fire Service, AA, RAC, food supply chain, people who do meals for the elderly and other essential services.  If they didn't make the effort, we would all suffer.  In a complex society, it depends on many people doing their bit to keep everyone well and safe.

My wife's a carer and she has done her usual route on rural roads in the snow today. Might be an excuse for a cushy day off to many, but some people have to consider others rather than themselves. I can understand why you couldn't work on a building site in the snow or a lot of outside jobs, but why can't you work in an office or school? Sometimes you have to man up and get on with it

As stated above, everyone managed somehow to get to school or work years ago. Why can't they do it now? Is it worse snow or something? We have turned into a generation of risk-averse namby-pambies. 

1 minute ago, walshie said:

My wife's a carer and she has done her usual route on rural roads in the snow today. Might be an excuse for a cushy day off to many, but some people have to consider others rather than themselves. I can understand why you couldn't work on a building site in the snow or a lot of outside jobs, but why can't you work in an office or school? Sometimes you have to man up and get on with it

As stated above, everyone managed somehow to get to school or work years ago. Why can't they do it now? Is it worse snow or something? We have turned into a generation of risk-averse namby-pambies.

Quite right - and that those (like your wife) who work in care, health etc., have people who depend on them - and who will be immensely grateful for the dependable service under adverse conditions.  We should all be grateful that people in these essential services are prepared to go the extra mile when conditions require it.

10 hours ago, Feltwad said:

A few inches of snow and the country comes too a standstill  compared to 1947 this is just a lambing storm , if we got another 47 with drifts up to 9 ft high  then we would have a storm,   never forget that 47 started in March and where I live in the north  east snow in sheltered valleys was still there in June 

Feltwad

Remember it well, birds frozen to death sat on branches in hedge row.

20 minutes ago, walshie said:

If I had my way I would get the lazy ***** that are on the dole & to idle to work to push your wife’s car through the snow to earn there dole money. My sister had the same job as your wife & I take my hat off to them.

1963 ...broke all records for falling off a Lambretta scooter, average six times from my digs to the police station, always outside the guard house at the Fusilier Barracks in Sutton Coldfield, much to the merryment of the guardhouse staff, who knew me.  Got so good at it, I could step off as it started to go and let it slide away down the road.  There were 3ft high ridges of frozen snow along the road sides into early April. Our Sergeant always turfed us out on our pushbikes to patrol a full 8hrs.

We did get a sudden fall in early 1981(I think) I know my wife and I had gone down to Crickhowell for a couple of days at a cottage we had. Got up the next morning and had a job to find the Renault 5 I had at the time.  A snow blower went through about 10am and the walls were a good 5ft high. My engine was frozen solid and broke the fan belt on trying to start it.  Drove steadily all the way back to Shirley/Solihull and most of the pipework to the heater and the heater was still frozen. Cracking litle car that was, thought it was a Land Rover.

When I went out this morning a little after seven the road conditions through the village were terrible with only the odd tyre track down the main road and snowing hard , as I was walking in the road because you couldn't see where the pavements were, a small little pick up truck was coming slowly towards me and who should it be was the milkman , how he got up some of the roads that had a bit of a slope god above knows .

Talking to one of the ole boys just after dinner who have his milk delivered was saying as far as he knew the milkman never missed out anyone on his rounds and the ole people who he deliver to were extremely grateful  , in my book , a local hero and a job well done.

8 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I shall of course be taking that up with the school just as soon as they feel it is safe to open it again.

Strange how people manage to get to work, but the Schools seem to close as soon as snow is visible on the ground!

I’m not sure if your issue is that you don’t want to spend time with your children or grandchildren, but remember teachers are teachers and not childminders. 

Or

You think they sit on their *** and do nothing on a snow day....

Well let me tell you (as I’m a teacher) today I had a full cooked breakfast, relaxed in front of the tv, made some scones, played with the kids and dog in the snow, went for a walk, finally sledging and then for a few beers in the pub. 

Edited by markm

9 minutes ago, markm said:

I’m not sure if your issue is that you don’t want to spend time with your children or grandchildren, but remember teachers are teachers and not childminders. 

Or

You think they sit on their *** and do nothing on a snow day....

Well let me tell you (as I’m a teacher) today I had a full cooked breakfast, relaxed in front of the tv, made some scones, played with the kids and dog in the snow, went for a walk, finally sledging and then for a few beers in the pub. 

Did the weather ease up to let you get to the pub but you couldn't make it to work?

8 hours ago, Mice! said:

my daughters school had them all outside building snow men yesterday, not snow persons? How long till snow men are banned.

A relatives Care Home,  staff posted pics on facething,  showing 2  'snow persons'  wearing er ...........Bikini's  !   :yes: 

11 minutes ago, walshie said:

Did the weather ease up to let you get to the pub but you couldn't make it to work?

Yes at 4pm. 

The pub is approx 1 mile away and my place of employment is 25 miles away.  

Maybe be I should live closer to the school so I can childmind. 

6 minutes ago, markm said:

Yes at 4pm. 

The pub is approx 1 mile away and my place of employment is 25 miles away.  

Maybe be I should live closer to the school so I can childmind. 

Hmmm. Not sure anyone mentioned childminding, just people doing their job. 

Been a pain in the backside at work! I used the forklift and a modified pallet to clear the yard three times in just over two hours, and still it fell, having to unload the chilled and frozen wagons with the FLT as the oil in the scissor lift froze! Then the ambient wagon "double decker" turned up at 7pm instead of 3pm and I only had an hour to unload it. Forklift skitting about all over the place! I remember a few good winters in the 70s where they had to drop supplies via helicopter to the local shop as all the roads were under 3 foot of snow! And schools only ever closed if the heating broke down! We had no closures just because the snow was deep. I remember one year my sister fell into a snow drift at the top of a hill and it took us ten mins to dig her out ? Always good winters as kids! Now it's just the odd dusting! Snowed all day and it amounts to about 8" of snow all told! Another 10" of snow forecast for tonight, but I will believe that when I see it. I still have to get to work no matter what happens! Even if I have to walk it. I don't mind as without the work I can't pay the mortgage. 

Edited by Lord Geordie

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Woodpeckers suffer in hard weather.  We have a lot about (green and spotted), but I don't know how I can help them.  They rarely visit the feeder, but VERY occasionally will go on the peanut feeder.

Suet with insects in it and fat balls, and shoot the squirrels simple.