Essex masters

eon

1 hour ago, Catamong said:

I'm doing it on the Wednesday, always a good shoot, some people find it mentally tough to shoot 200 in one day, you have to really concentrate hard over the last 50 or so birds.

No other tips, apart from you'll need at least 200 shells.

Cat.

Was looking for the other posts, but that's the other "Essex masters" Cancelled my Thursday and requested Wednesday! Full day 200 clays ??

• 1 month later...

Having shot it today in pretty good weather, all things considered, probably a slightly "softer" layout than previous years, but still plenty of tricky targets to catch people out.

Some very unusual targets, including 2 skimmed across the surface of the lake on the final stand of the Red layout, never seen that done before..??:oops:..(I did hit both of them..!)

Well shot to fellow PW member derek720, who was going seriously well and finished on a very respectable 179..:good:

I struggled a bit over both layouts and missed some very simple targets, mostly in front, with an 88 on both Red & Black, to finish on a 176..:unhappy:

Still, it was nice to meet up with other fellow shooters that I hadn't seen for some time, there is a massive entry this year, around 2,500 shooters, good luck to those who are still to shoot, the only advice I can give is to take nothing for granted, and, for Gods sake, bring your wellies, 'cos it's seriously wet underfoot..!

Cat.

8 hours ago, Evil Elvis said:

Well shot Cat, your in good form!!!  I shot 96 clays the day before shot  an 89  thought it might warm e up for the masters, firstly it poured down all day, I hate shooting in the rain, and I think I ran out of concentration and arm strength!!! I was rubbish

Thanks matey, I've shot better, but, in fairness I've not done that much over the Winter as I've been chasing the (very elusive) pigeons, it's not been a good season on them this Winter..!

All the best,

Cat.

2 hours ago, DanBettin said:

Envy anyone who managed to attend this, sounds like a great event. I don't think I'm at a level I could perform well at anyway, for now, but I have my sights set on next year.

Congrats to all of you, haven't seen a bad score posted in this thread yet, done very well.

If I'm honest in terms of difficulty I've had many harder regular reg rounds. People often over eulogise certain shoots and I think it's more to do with the fact that it's a 5-6 day shoot with 2k odd people taking part and that many shoot it all in one day which is nice in itself, add in the atmosphere, the relative virginity of the layouts and the fact we all want to know who comes on top that gets us all talking. In pure target terms nobody should fear entering. 

5 hours ago, DanBettin said:

Envy anyone who managed to attend this, sounds like a great event. I don't think I'm at a level I could perform well at anyway, for now, but I have my sights set on next year.

Congrats to all of you, haven't seen a bad score posted in this thread yet, done very well.

Get it booked and enjoy! I did the 4+hr drive down and shot both courses and headed home that day! I'm nothing special (But strive to improve) I shot red 74 and black 78! Missed some right sitters (Coz I rush things and a lack of concentration/focus on occasion) and looking back.......Could have easily been 80's both courses! I thought Red was easier in my eyes but made a mess of things with silly misses. To me red was closer in whilst black required a little lead...........Time to reflect and improve on my errors! 

This was my 2nd time at this event and I've loved every one! Will be booking next year!! I too have attended much tougher reg shoots! 

3 hours ago, Evil Elvis said:

Looks like they added up my scores wrong and put me in veteran!!! 178    I wish!!!

To be fair you look like a veteran ?

As Hamster says, nobody should fear this shoot, it's not set up to beat you by speed or distance, I like to think of it as a thinking mans shoot....

Its the highlight of my year, chance to spend a few days away with people I may only see once or twice a year, plus a bit of shooting ?

:shaun: