First decoying session this year

motty

My few brief outing after pigeons this year have been flighting in woods or roost shooting. I decided that It was time to get the decoying gear out. Mice have been busy in the shed and stripped the wire off one of my magnets, so that needed to be repaired. That done, I got that and my other gear stowed into the back of the truck.

The venue was to be the farm that I have visited a bit recently. There has been a few thousand pigeons on the maize covers (of which there are several) which are still standing. It is certainly not easy to pin the little beggars down, with so much maize to choose from, plus several hundred acres of rape.

I arrived on the farm at around 9.30 am yesterday to meet up with a couple of fellow beater friends who would be covering different spots. I found a good looking spot for myself and put a few hundred pigeons off the cover and out of the trees. It looked quite promising, but would they come back?

I decided to put my hessian hide amongst the maize stalks and deployed 50 shell and full bodied decoys on the adjoining wheat. The magnet was put on the edge of the cover. It was very slow going to start with, but I was getting a chance now and then, and a retrieve or two for the dog. A few decent bunches then started to come in, not necessarily decoying, but paying enough attention to the decoys to allow me some shots. Many of my shots were similar -  driven type shots as the pigeons were gliding over looking for a spot to either land in the trees or with the decoys. These were pretty satisfying, varying in height and speed. 

I wasn't shy of shooting a few out of the trees. I must have had a least half a dozen that decided to land a bit short of where I wanted.

The action hotted up a bit into the early afternoon. I had to use some quick reloading skills to get a few bonus birds. I almost rued not having the semi auto with me, as the chance was there for more than 2 shots on multiple occasions. I was having a great time with the o/u, so it didn't really matter. The dog was enjoying himself, too, and made some good retrieves.

I have no doubt that the flight was helped along by some horse riders and a helicopter that disturbed some big flocks from other areas of the farm that were not manned.

I got packed up for 2pm. The best sport had been had. I picked a nice little bag of 56.