Roost madness

lakeside1000

So Saturday was to be the last roost day for me, missed the first two with ilness but last week was ok, so got out about 12.00 noon and made my way down to the woods, loads of birds moving out on the rape so I set up on the edge of the wood adjacent to a huge rape field,

Just a dozen half shell and a make shift hide in the edge of the wood, there was a bitterly cold wind whistling through from behind me but a large tree gave me some shelter.

had a couple of shots early on but birds were very high and moving fast on the wind.

Around 1.30 I heard the first shot behind me about 200 yards into the wood, then a second and a third gun all around me, by 2.00 it sounded like world war 3 had broken out, 2 guns had moved into a small copse 100 yards to my left, another under some oaks about 100 yards to my right.

by 3.00 I had counted around 13 different guns all within the same wood, every pigeon that came towards me would flare away as yet another shot (or several) sounded around me, 

I watched as a dozen came low across the field in front towards the guns on my left, when they were still 100 yards out both guns let rip using both barrels of each, birds scattering in all directions, ( except mine ) and none on the ground, 

In the distance was a small wood where a single gun had hidden himself, I watch on several occasions as birds floated over his position , shots rang out and birds flew away, I didnt see one drop,

By around 4.00 I was so frustrated and to be honest more than a little annoyed, I gave it up as a bad job , packed up and headed home,4 shots and no birds down. the only ones to benefit from the session would have been the gun dealers who sold all those cartridges , literally hundreds fired in a few short hours. Im sure they all had a great fun afternoon but for me its more than just blasting away at impossible high birds, for me the object is to get a few more birds before they do more damage to crops, and to keep them moving around the area , 

Next year I must try to find a wood where no one else goes, what are the chances.:no::no:  

last weekend I tried to shoot on a local permission. I needn't have bothered as the 5 woods near me must have had 5 guns in each scaring every pigeon that came near. There were many hundreds of birds swirling around very high all over the place. 

They would try each wood in turn before leaving for pastures elsewhere. Nothing would get lower than 100 metres. a mate and I watched a couple shoot at some very far away birds before calling it a day.  I'm giving it a couple of weeks before trying again.

The last two years I have shot roosts on a large estate where the gamekeeper allocates each wood to just one or two guns so there is a very even spread across the estate, but this year I had a chance to go to some new woods where I know there are big flocks of birds , but unfortunately for me no one controls who shoots or where, its just a free for all and this was the result, Next year it will be back to the estate or not bother at all, I do prefer shooting over decoys anyway especially if I can find a good sheltered spot where the birds are confident and undisturbed.

On 26/02/2018 at 09:05, lakeside1000 said:

The last two years I have shot roosts on a large estate where the gamekeeper allocates each wood to just one or two guns so there is a very even spread across the estate, but this year I had a chance to go to some new woods where I know there are big flocks of birds , but unfortunately for me no one controls who shoots or where, its just a free for all and this was the result, Next year it will be back to the estate or not bother at all, I do prefer shooting over decoys anyway especially if I can find a good sheltered spot where the birds are confident and undisturbed.

Holkham?