3/4 and Full

WinchesterDave

Went for a round of sporting today and as I was by myself I thought I'd have a little play and swap my usual 1/4 & 1/2 for 3/4 and Full. 

I dont know why, I just wanted to have a change and a play/experiment. For the years ive been shooting ive never shot clays with more than 1/2. 

Anyway, I was expecting to go back to the car half way round and put my usual chokes back in.... However, I actually ended up completing the entire round with 3/4 and Full and thoroughly enjoying it. Not only that, I felt as though I hit more and felt more confident? (Didn't count as I was by myself) 

The complete opposite of how I predicted I would feel....

When I got home and cleaned the gun, I put my 3/4 and Full back in and intend to use this set up again next time. 

Has anyone else done this and not looked back? Or was it because I was by myself and concentrating more :hmm:

Cheers, 

Dave :)

Ah interesting, I suppose it is whatever you are used to as ips says.

I will probably shoot with them terribly next time! 

Just I certainly felt confident today and in all honesty I would have changed to Full and Full if I had one I think. 

See what happens Anyway, good to read what others think. 

Dave 

Interesting how it varies between different shooters. I'm going to stick with it for a bit to see if I was either, having a good day or infact it improves my performance! 

Just a side note, what do people think of the likes of Teague chokes etc? Ive some Midas chokes which I use in my SX3 and Winchester and I feel as if the breaks and kills are better using them than the standard chokes. 

Just interested really :good:

Cheers chaps, 

Dave 

1 hour ago, buze said:

@WinchesterDave perhaps you found chokes that 'likes' your shells. I know that when I shoot CompX 28 fiber, 3/4 3/4 works really well (I used to use full/full); when I shoot F-blue plastic, I shoot 1/4 1/4 and that seems to be the 'perfect' combo to get dust clouds -- even sometime at quite impressive distance -- tighter, not so much.

That's certainly interesting, I was using Cheddite at the weekend, I cant remember which specific model, but I tend to just use what's available at my local rather than buying my own in bulk. I dont get to go as much as I'd like you see. 

Dave

On 26. 2. 2018 at 20:49, WinchesterDave said:

Interesting how it varies between different shooters. I'm going to stick with it for a bit to see if I was either, having a good day or infact it improves my performance! 

Just a side note, what do people think of the likes of Teague chokes etc? Ive some Midas chokes which I use in my SX3 and Winchester and I feel as if the breaks and kills are better using them than the standard chokes. 

Just interested really :good:

Cheers chaps, 

Dave 

Comparing Browning factory Invector Plus chokes with Teagues actual measurements - factory chokes are more open:

1/4 - Browning: 0.004, Teague: 0.010;

1/2 - Browning: 0.012, Teague: 0.020

3/4 - Browning: 0.018, Teague: 0.030

1/1 - Browning: 0.031, Teague: 0.040

If you have Teague tapered choke key you can compare the actual restrictions yourself.

In praxis - with 1/2 (0.20)  you are already well in the tight territory i.e. you don't get much by using 3/4 or 1/1...IMO

Edited by FreeShot

6 hours ago, Robertt said:

Knowing that you have less margin for error, you might subconsciously upping your game ?

Possibly! 

5 hours ago, FreeShot said:

Comparing Browning factory Invector Plus chokes with Teagues actual measurements - factory chokes are more open:

If you have Teague tapered choke key you can compare the actual restrictions yourself.

In praxis - with 1/2 (0.20)  you are already well in the tight territory i.e. you don't get much by using 3/4 or 1/1...IMO

Thanks for the input..That's certainly interesting!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5 March 2018 at 12:14, FreeShot said:

Just checked using the teague key and briley skeet is tighter than my browning 1/4, teague 3/8 is tighter than my browning 1/2 and teague 5/8 is tighter than my browning 3/4. Who'd have thunk it :rolleyes: 

Going to pattern the lot at some point this week anyway, but the above revelation will alter the order. 

19 hours ago, Uilleachan said:

Just checked using the teague key and briley skeet is tighter than my browning 1/4, teague 3/8 is tighter than my browning 1/2 and teague 5/8 is tighter than my browning 3/4. Who'd have thunk it :rolleyes: 

Going to pattern the lot at some point this week anyway, but the above revelation will alter the order. 

Found the same with Teague versus Browning factory . 

From my (admittedly, rather limited) understanding of chokes/cartridges/combos of both - I'm more inclined to think the effect was the result of some mental change. You were on your own so had less pressure, which can help (depending on the person behind the gun) or could've been as someone else has mentioned that you were concentrating more because of the choke.

Shot 3/4 and full for sporting and fitasc over several years with good results. On the one hand the “dusting” kills give confidence but close targets can be a problem psychologically and every so often a unaccountable miss would occur on longer ones, presumably not helped by the tight patterns. Had the gun taken out to 5/8 in both barrels and never looked back. Do however use a combination of different shells to help open and tighten the pattern.

On 1 April 2018 at 16:37, kenholland said:

shot oakedge staffs today 100 reg , I normally shoot 1/2 and 1/2 long Teague's flush but seem to shoot a lot more 3/8 now shot a  78 today a class cr%p, but how many pattern there guns these days ,

Worth the time it takes and thats for sure. Today answered the ammo conundrum for Saturdays DTL shoot. Which I'll be shooting with FBLU 2.4mm browning INV+ Full in the bottom and the tighter Teague 7/8 in the top.

But I think I'll be swapping barrels for the Carlson half & teague 3/8th I've been shooting sporting with, as the latter patterns tighter despite being more open than the former. Also, now that I've resolved the unexplained sitter misses I won't be buying any more fibre olympic blues for this gun. Eye opener....      

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I shot a sporting round a couple of weeks back at Auchterhouse with the chokes I've been using for DTL locally (see my last post above for the details). It went well, better than I thought it would.

Today, I was at braidwood and did a couple of hundred sporting with 2 x 3/8 2nd hand teague chokes top and bottom, that I'd patterned previously, and did better. 

Confidence is everything, I concur with that, patterning ammo through various chokes and then going out and seeing the results has been key for me.

I was hitting some difficult (long range fast crossers) shots with the 3/8 chokes today, not first time of asking on those birds, but, getting them has shown me that edge on fast 40+ yarders are down to me, with that set up.