3/4 and Full

WinchesterDave

Guest stevo
24 minutes ago, kenholland said:

shooting the English open in the morning from what I have heard , and looking at the scores , I will be doing a lot of screwing in the morning , chokes that is , looks like 3/4 and full is a possible .

Ken ,   1/2 and 1/2 with the 3/4 in the back pocket if you need it .

and a little faith in the above ?

Edited by stevo

• 1 month later...
On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 19:48, WinchesterDave said:

Went for a round of sporting today and as I was by myself I thought I'd have a little play and swap my usual 1/4 & 1/2 for 3/4 and Full. 

I dont know why, I just wanted to have a change and a play/experiment. For the years ive been shooting ive never shot clays with more than 1/2. 

Anyway, I was expecting to go back to the car half way round and put my usual chokes back in.... However, I actually ended up completing the entire round with 3/4 and Full and thoroughly enjoying it. Not only that, I felt as though I hit more and felt more confident? (Didn't count as I was by myself) 

The complete opposite of how I predicted I would feel....

When I got home and cleaned the gun, I put my 3/4 and Full back in and intend to use this set up again next time. 

Has anyone else done this and not looked back? Or was it because I was by myself and concentrating more :hmm:

Cheers, 

Dave :)

im shooting a zoli z sporter fixed chokes 1/2  3/4    it removes choice and doubt   I can change shells  and barrel selector    so im sorted   nearest clay gets the 1/2 choke     its all down to my skillset    mmmmmm    ? 

On 25/02/2018 at 19:48, WinchesterDave said:

Went for a round of sporting today and as I was by myself I thought I'd have a little play and swap my usual 1/4 & 1/2 for 3/4 and Full. 

I dont know why, I just wanted to have a change and a play/experiment. For the years ive been shooting ive never shot clays with more than 1/2. 

Anyway, I was expecting to go back to the car half way round and put my usual chokes back in.... However, I actually ended up completing the entire round with 3/4 and Full and thoroughly enjoying it. Not only that, I felt as though I hit more and felt more confident? (Didn't count as I was by myself) 

The complete opposite of how I predicted I would feel....

When I got home and cleaned the gun, I put my 3/4 and Full back in and intend to use this set up again next time. 

Has anyone else done this and not looked back? Or was it because I was by myself and concentrating more :hmm:

Cheers, 

Dave :)

I did the same experiment yesterday, and went shooting with full/full at Atkins&lang&grant -- I ended up like you -- same impressions -- I felt I shot very well, and I didn't feel I was particularly limited by the chokes -- and blimey, I did 'smoke' a few, which is quite satisfying.

I'd even say that it 'pushes' you a bit more, in the sense that I wasn't terribly satisfied when i wasn't 'smoking' 20-30yd targets.

I pretty often us 3/4s but I always revert to 1/2s somehow, perhaps I shoudl just stick to tighter chokes for a while and see how it goes.

Since february, have you stuck to your tight chokes?

10 hours ago, buze said:

I did the same experiment yesterday, and went shooting with full/full at Atkins&lang&grant -- I ended up like you -- same impressions -- I felt I shot very well, and I didn't feel I was particularly limited by the chokes -- and blimey, I did 'smoke' a few, which is quite satisfying.

I'd even say that it 'pushes' you a bit more, in the sense that I wasn't terribly satisfied when i wasn't 'smoking' 20-30yd targets.

I pretty often us 3/4s but I always revert to 1/2s somehow, perhaps I shoudl just stick to tighter chokes for a while and see how it goes.

Since february, have you stuck to your tight chokes?

I have mate yes. I know what you mean about wanting to push put a bit more. 

Dave