Geting land

Brad1402

as above... get out there and meet the farmers... I've had the best success where I've pre identified a problem on their land whether that might be crows, pigeon or rabbits then approach the farmer asking if he wants help with that particular problem, if they agree I sort the problem then go back to the farmer explaining how I've got on, more often than not this will lead to more shooting.... rather than a  "Can I shoot on your land?" approach

Edited by thepasty

Most farmers are reluctant to let young air rifle shooters go wondering around their land from a knock on the door, a lot stems from media reports of youngster doing bad things with air rifles and everyone getting tarred with the same brush, the farmers I know are reluctant to take the risk with someone they have never meet before.

Sometimes approaching it from a different angle can work, this is a suggestion I have given a few young air rifle shooters looking for somewhere to shoot.

First find a few farms as near as possible to home and find out the farmers names, then approach the farmer face to face and rather than asking if you can go wondering around the land vermin shooting ask if they would be willing to let you setup a few targets in a grass field at the back of the barns (use Google maps) you will still need to tell them exactly what it is you wish to-do, show them your insurance and even take a drawing of your target stand and pellet trap and how it works in stopping pellets from doing any harm, if you are lucky and you get a yes, ask where he wants you to park, ask if he wants a knock on the door or a text whenever you are there, ask if there are any days he does not want you there, once you have your foot in the door go as often as possible, do not venture from where he as told you to shoot, do not shoot anything else apart from your targets (unless told otherwise) find out if he and his wife like a drink (most farmers do) and take a bottle or two just as a thank you.

Once you have been there a few months and he’s got to know and trust you ask if there’s any chance you could shoot a few rats around the barns, he may well say yep help yourself and if you want to have ago at the rabbits there’s loads of them down the bottom meadow.:yahoo:

I am not saying this will work with every farmer and there’s still lots of leg work and door knocking but there’s more chance of him saying ok to the above when he can keep an eye on you.

Good luck    :good: